Chapter 27

Saturday, 5:20 p

Saturday, 5:20 p.m.

Maadwoa 

"He's coming, act normal!" Gifty exclaims, running her hands through her hair as she sits up straighter on the bench.

I narrow my eyes at her with a scoff, crossing my right leg over my left. "When have we ever acted normal around Tyler?"

We were sitting on my verandah, waiting for Danny to pick us up for the double date. It took a lot of convincing to get Gifty to come with us. Tyler was easy to convince, as he just wanted to have a good time. Gifty was still nervous and upset about the breakup, and was reluctant to see Tyler. I had to beg her to come with us and she finally gave in, claiming 'just for you'. 

Tyler saunters towards us with his hands stuffed in his pockets and a smirk on his face. He was wearing jean shorts and a red shirt. He looked like he put in effort today. I wonder why. Gifty lets out a sigh as he gets closer to us.

"He looks so nice. What is he trying to prove?" she questions, crossing her arms with a groan.

"Be nice." I whisper, causing her to scoff at me.

Tyler steps onto the verandah with a smile.

"Hey Jojo." he greets, using his old nickname for me. I roll my eyes at the name.

"I told you I don't like when you call me that."

He chuckles, taking a seat next to me. "Which is why it has resurfaced."

I shake my head, not even responding to him. Gifty shifts uncomfortably, scratching her head with a scowl on her face. I hear Tyler let out a small breath as he turns his attention to her.

"Hey Gifty. How are you?" he asks.

They haven't seem each other since they broke up and I could practically feel the awkwardness.

She hums in response but I nudge her, giving her a warning look. She winces and rolls her eyes.

"I'm doing great. So great." she responds, giving him an exaggerated smile. I could almost cry from the tension.

He nods. "That's good to hear."

I look at the both of them with a tight smile. I hope they don't act like this all night or else it will be unbearably uncomfortable.

"Well, um, we're going bowling!" I tell them with a smile trying to cut through the tension.

"Really? That prince is so cool oo." Gifty exclaims with a genuine smile.

Tyler scratches his head, while glancing at the ground. I hear a chuckle come from his mouth. I look at him questionably.

"What?" I ask.

"You're wearing flats. You need sneakers to bowl, sweetheart." he says, with his lips curved up in an amused smirk.

I mentally facepalm. I should've known that from all the cliche romance movies I watch.