Chapter 46.

*Unedited* (Hai guys)

DISCLAIMER: I don't know how technology works, okay?

I cock my head at Nana when she frowns at me, her eyes holding a sad glint. Clearly she figured out I'm staying at Gifty's now, but why is she here now? She made it clear that she was happy I was moving out so why did she waste her time coming here?

"Who is th-- oh, her." Gifty scoffs in disgust, standing behind me. Nana even directed a sad look towards Gifty, the frown still plastered on her face. I don't think she's ever looked this calm towards us.

"You haven't answered my question. Why are you here?" I question coolly, straightening my back. I wanted her to know that I am no longer going to allow her to hurt and degrade me. Regardless of whatever insults she is about to throw at me, I won't let her get to me,

Nana pouts, slowly stepping forward. "Oh, Maadwoa. Don't be so mean."

I step backwards, making sure to put a space between us. Gifty scoffs from behind me as I shake my head. "If you don't have anything to say, would you please leave? Gifty and I were in the middle of something."

"You're not like this. Why are you being so cold?" she questions innocently, as if the past 18 years had been erased from her memory. Is she seriously asking me this question? After everything she's put me through, am I still supposed to be cordial with her?

"Is this a symptom of menopause?" Gifty asks me, as Nana looks between the two of us sadly.

"Most likely."

"I am still here." Nana announces.

"And I am still wondering why." I retort, crossing my arms. Nana lets out a dramatic breath, nodding her head a bit.

"I...I came to make amends." she admits, avoiding direct eye contact.

My mouth drops open while Gifty lets out an exaggerated gasp, putting her hand on her chest as if someone hurt her. I was shooketh. How does she even know what it means to make amends? And after 18 years, she decides that it's time to reconcile. She must be going through a very rough menopause.

"Pardon?" I question, trying to confirm I heard her correctly.

"I want to make amends. Ever since you...left the house, the silence has given me time to think about everything I've done."

Gifty clears her throat while glancing between the two of us. "I'm gonna go do...stuff."

When she scurries away, I set my gaze back on Nana, trying to appear as stolid as I can. I didn't want her to think I cared for what she had to say. She steps forward again as I watch her like a hawk.

"I guess I am trying to say, I am... sorry."

On the outside, I appeared apathetic and unaffected by what she said, but that was just a semblance. In actual fact, I was experiencing inner turmoil. I didn't even know she had the word in 'sorry' in her vocabulary.

"Huh?" is all I can get out. I was too baffled to get out a full sentence. Hearing those words come out of her mouth was frightening. What could have gone so wrong in the short time that I left that has pushed her to apologise?

Nana sighs sadly. "I'm sorry for everything I've done to you. I don't even know what I was thinking-"

"For 18 years, you didn't know what you were thinking?" I question in disbelief.

"I am ashamed. I truly am. Believe me, it was the devil. I didn't mean it at all."

I don't know why people drag the devil into their apologies, as if that is supposed to excuse everything they did.