Chapter 33

Tyler runs towards the petrol station with a frantic look on his face. He had overslept that morning and was almost two hours late to work. When he woke up and saw the time, his heart dropped and he jumped out of bed, quickly doing his morning rituals before dashing out of the room. He even skipped breakfast and didn't pack anything with him. Keeping this job was more important to him.

Once he gets there, he sees Mr. Opoku collecting money from someone in a small car. Tyler quickly does the sign of the cross, hoping his boss wouldn't be too angry with him, as he slowly walks over to Mr. Opoku.

"Good morning, boss." he greets, with a small wave.

Mr. Opoku waves at the car as it drives off before shoving the money in his pocket and giving Tyler a small nod.

"Good morning. It's almost afternoon actually, what happened today?" he questioned calmly.

Tyler sighed. "Boss, I can't even lie to you. I overslept today. I'm very sorry, I hope I didn't burden you too much."

Mr. Opoku pats Tyler on the shoulder, giving him a warm smile. Tyler had never missed a day since he was employed here and Opoku knows how hard-working the young boy is.

"Son, it's okay. Better late than never. But if you're feeling sluggish, just tell me and take a day off, alright?"

Tyler nods with a smile, but he knows he wouldn't allow himself to miss a day. He couldn't afford to.

The boss smiles before leaving to intimidate and check on his employees in the convenience store. As Opoku enters the store, he almost bumps into his daughter, who dashed out the door in Tyler's direction. She was watching her father and Tyler through the window of the store.

She excitedly taps Tyler on the shoulder from behind, causing him to flinch again as he quickly whips his head around. The slim girl giggles as Tyler chuckles at his own behaviour.

"Sorry, this is the second time I'm doing this." she jokes. Tyler smiles, scanning her over. He noticed that she had braided her hair into short, brown braids. She was wearing skinny jeans that emphasized her long legs and a halter maroon blouse. She was beautiful and they both knew it.

"It's no problem. Um, what are you doing here?" he asks her.

She shrugs. "Well, I'm not doing anything at home, so I decided to follow my dad to work today."

The real reason she came was because she knew Tyler would be there and she wanted a chance to spend time with him. It's not often that she meets attractive people who are also chill, so she was definitely taking advantage of the opportunity.

"Oh, cool. At least I'll have someone to talk to other than your dad." Tyler says, before he waves his hand with a nervous smile. "N-not that I don't enjoy talking to your dad. I meant s-someone around my age."

Laura laughs at how nervous he was acting, while Tyler cursed himself internally. Since when does he trip over his words around girls? The only girl that was capable of making him do that was Gifty.

"I know what you meant. Why'd you come late today? My dad thought you were ditching."

"I overslept. Once I realized, I dashed out of the house. I even forgot the most important thing."

"What?" she asks inquisitively.

"Food." he says with a forlorn sigh.

Laura laughs at the frown on his face, lightly hitting his bicep. He laughed along but he was genuinely hungry.

"Food is very important. Since it's almost your lunch break anyway, do you want to get something to eat?" she suggests, hoping he would agree.

Tyler raises his brows in surprise. Why was she being so generous to a stranger?