Chapter 49

"Will you shut up!" an officer exclaims, shooting me a glare as she opens the black metal gate. I squirm in the Robert and Kwaku's grasps, tears still strolling down my face and ugly sobs escaping my lips. They tighten their already tight grips on my wrists and arms, forcing me towards the open cell. Everyone in the jail was eyeing me with agitated and intimidating expressions on their faces, including all the wards and most of the inmates. I know my cries and screeches were bothering them, but I didn't care. I am about to be confined for the rest of my life for a crime I didn't commit, and there's nothing I can do about it. Crying is not even the worst I could do. I peered into the cell they were trying to push me in. It was small and dirty, and there were two older women inside. The cell was barely big enough to fit one person, how were three people going to fit in here? The walls were supposed to be white, but chalk and dust made it look almost brown There was no piece of furniture, so the two older women were reclined on the floor. Their clothes were raggedy and ripped, hair unkempt, elbows and knuckles ashy, lips dry and cracked; in summation, they looked disgusting, and I feared I was going to look like that. The sight made me cry even harder.

Robert harshly shoves me into the cell, causing me to trip over my own feet and fall palms down onto the concrete ground.  I hiss as I feel a sting in my knees and palms. Not even five minutes here and I've already hurt myself. Ignoring the pain, I spring up from the ground, only to see the warden slam the gate behind me. I desperately grab onto the cell gate, trying to shake it open. The warden uses her stick to strike my fingers, and I retract my hands in pain, another cry escaping my lips.

"Step away from the gate. You're not leaving, especially not after what you did." she commands, a cold glare on her face. My lip trembles, as I reluctantly take a step back. I looked down at my hands to see cuts from falling on the ground and the strike I just received, shaking my head sadly. No one believed me. Even the wardens that just got the summary from Robert don't believe me.

"P-please, let me out."  I beg, setting my gaze on Robert and Kwaku, as if they have any power over this situation. They tear their gazes away from me, ignoring my cries.

"Excuse me, can you please move this girl to another cell? She's giving me a headache." one of the women complains from behind me. I peek a glance at her to see an exasperated look on her face. The woman next to her was better at blocking out my cries because she was just sleeping.

"Keep your mouth shut, Gina!" the warden orders, holding the stick up. Gina sends her a nasty glare, but doesn't respond.

When I look back at Robert and Kwaku, they were about to leave, until I cried out again. I can't believe they're actually leaving me here.

"Robert, Kwaku. Are you just leaving like that? I can't stay here."

"Young lady, I--" the warden begins but I cut her off, as fury builds up in me.

"I wasn't speaking to you!"

Everyone looks taken aback, but I continue to fix my gaze on Robert and Kwaku. I couldn't let them leave me here. I can't survive jail.

"You've shown us your true colors, Maadwoa. Face the consequences of your actions." Kwaku harshly speaks.

"What actions? I didn't do anything!" I fire back. Instead of responding, they turn away from me and make their way towards the exit. My shoulders drop in disappointment when the door closes behind them. I slam my hands against the gate in frustration and sadness. I'm stuck here forever.

"If you dent the gate, I will make sure you suffer here. I told you to step away from the gate." the warden threatens bitterly. It was evident she was pissed after I snapped at her. Some people are just so emotional.