Chapter 11.

Maadwoa's POV

I sit on the stool as I bend down in front of me to wash my clothes. I scrub the white shirt against my wrist to clean the stains. l squint my eyes as a droplet of the soapy water flies into my eye, but I continue to wash it before my aunt complains that I'm lazy again.

All of a sudden, I see a new pile of dirty clothes thrown on the ground next to me. I glance at them in surprise before I look up to see my aunt standing over me with a glare on her face. No surprise there.

"Be useful and wash these too." she orders, before walking back onto the verandah.

I sigh and watch as she walks back to the verandah. She sits on the bench and grabs the Bible that she left there, opening it up to read. I almost laugh at the sight. How ironic for her to act holy with all that she does in this house. I quickly turn my head back to the clothes before she catches me.

I hear familiar whistling from behind our house and I perk up in my stool with excitement. That has to be Uncle Kwame. I hear my aunt quietly, but viciously call my name. I turn to her and she has a threatening look on her face.

"If you say one wrong thing, I will deal with you." she quietly threatens, causing me to quickly nod in fear. 

Uncle Kwame smiles as he approaches us. My aunt puts the Bible down and does the sign of the cross (eye roll) before standing up to greet her brother.

"Bra Kwame, good afternoon." she greets, and he smiles at her.

"Good afternoon Nana. Eii, Maadwoa, how are you?" he greets, walking over to me.

I wash my hands in clean water and quickly dry them with a towel near me. I stand up and hug my uncle.

"Good afternoon Uncle Kwame. I'm fine."

I walk with him towards the verandah and I lead him to the bench. He takes a seat next to his sister on the bench and I stand with my hands behind my back.

"Uncle, should I serve you water?" I ask.

He shakes his head with a smile. I nod and sit on another stool next to him. My aunt puts her hand on his shoulder and smiles.

"Oh, I am preparing fufu and light soup later. You have to stay and eat some before you go." she tells him and he laughs.

"It's like you knew that I woke up craving for that." he tells her and I giggle. My uncle is obsessed with fufu, maybe more than I am obsessed with waakye.

"Who doesn't know how much you love fufu, especially with light soup?" she questions with a laugh.

I almost feel jealous about how nice she is with others but how cold and vicious she is with me. What did I ever do to her? Why don't I deserve her love and care?

My uncle turns his attention back to me and smiles. 

"Maadwoa, I came to check on you because I haven't seen you in a while. Is everything okay?" he asks.

"Yes, everything is fine."

He glances at my aunt before glancing back at me. 

"I know your aunt was bothering you for some time. I hope you guys are living peacefully now, right?" he asks with his brows raised.

I subtly glance at my aunt from behind him and her smile quickly vanishes, as she wears a cold and mean glare on her face. She mouths something to me but I quickly break eye contact with her and look back at my uncle.

"Oh, everything is fine. Auntie Nana has apologised for before and we are living peacefully now. Last night, I even made waakye for us to eat together." I rant, hoping that she is satisfied with the lies coming out of my mouth.