Chapter 18.

Danny

After making sure that Maadwoa has a ride home, I indignantly march back into the castle. The words that my parents used against Maadwoa filled me with so much anger. I was baffled at how easy it was for them to degrade and insult an innocent person that they don't even know.

When I get back into the parlour, I walk up to my father and mother, and cross my arms across my chest. What they just did was despicable. They glare at me and my father scoffs.

"Who do you think you are? Uncross your arms  and sit down right now." he orders, causing me to give in and do as he says.

He clears his throat and takes a sip from the glass of water next to him. I let out an angry sigh as he prepares to give me a lecture.

"Son, I just want to know something. You are aware that I am a King and that your mother is a Queen, right?" he questions sternly.

I nod. "Yes I am well aware."

"And you are aware that you are a prince, correct?" he continues.

"Simply because I am the son of a King and Queen, yes."

"So if you are aware of the honour and high status this family holds, what possessed you to bring that Maabena thing into this home?" my mother sharply questions and I narrow my eyes at her.

"She's a girl, not a thing and her name is Maadwoa." I correct her.

"Shut up! Do not speak to me like that." she spits back and I sigh, slouching in the couch.

"Where exactly did you find a person like that? Were you at that filthy village?" my father asks.

I take a breath. "Yes."

They gasp and give me a look of disgust and anger.

"You have the courage to say this to my face. I am highly disappointed in you. A person of your caliber should not be seen in a vile setting like that, let alone be seen mingling with the people there." my father chastises.

I shake my head in astonishment. The fact that my parents think like this is disgusting. They love mentioning that they are King and Queen yet their personality and attitude towards others is nothing like honourable.

"Father, what is so wrong with me being friends with her? Or anyone in the village for that matter?" I question.

"It does not suit you! This is my first warning to stay away from that girl!" he fiercely shoots back at me.

I scoff in disbelief. I never knew my parents were this cold. I was aware that they are a bit snobbish and pretentious, but I did not know it was to this extent. This is exactly what they did to me as a child. Anyone that did not strike them as perfect was not worthy enough to be my friend, and instead, they forced me to interact with stuck-up, shallow people. Now that I have found someone different, someone that I want in my life, they want to ruin the first real relationship I have made on my own.

"There is nothing wrong with her." I remark honestly.

My mother scoffs and looks at my father with an amused smirk on her face.

"Oh, I see what is actually going on here. I should've figured it out from the way you were defending her so quickly and those little smiles you two were sharing." my mom says, as if a realization has dawned on her.

I raise my eyebrows at her. "What do you mean?"

"You are interested in this girl, aren't you? That is why you complied so easily to bringing her here, is it not?"  she questions.