Chapter 29

Afia Nelson walks down the glass stairs towards the living room after lounging around in her room the whole morning

Afia Nelson walks down the glass stairs towards the living room after lounging around in her room the whole morning. Once she gets to the living room, her mother, who was comfortably lying in the beige couch, lifts her head up and smiles.

"Good morning. Or rather good afternoon, sleeping beauty. You're finally awake."

Afia sits on the other couch and scoffs playfully. "I wasn't asleep. I was watching a movie since I can't find my phone. It's like there's nothing to life anymore."

Mercy purses her lips, narrowing her eyes at her daughter's dramatic nature. She had actually found Afia's phone in the morning under the couch when she was sweeping the floors. Mercy takes the phone out of her dress pocket.

"Stop being dramatic. I found your phone this morning, it was under the couch. Didn't you say you looked everywhere?"

Afia perks up, sitting up straighter as her eyes crinkle from the bright smile on her face. The truth is she wasn't thorough in her search, and she especially didn't get on the dusty floors to search for the phone. Her phone is her life but she won't resort to getting herself dirty.

"Y-yeah, I did but I guess I missed a spot."

Her mother hums, not believing her. She hands the phone to her daughter, who swiftly takes it and jumps up in excitement.

"My life is back! I will never leave my phone on silent again!"

Mercy laughs as Afia bends down to give her mother a tight hug. She runs outside onto the verandah, throwing herself on the cream sofa. Turning the phone on, she clicks on her messages app, seeing that she had 58 unread messages from multiple people. Not like she would answer them anyway. But the most recent was from Joy, so she tapped on her contact first. Afia sees that Joy sent her a picture, and she quickly taps it out of curiosity. 

The picture was not what she expected. Her eyes bulge out of her sockets when she sees a clear image of Danny with his arms around a girl holding a bowling ball from behind. She sits up in the sofa, zooming in on the picture, and blinking rapidly to confirm that what she is seeing is real. Joy sent this to her on Saturday, meaning that Danny was with that girl instead of with Afia. She wasn't sure who this girl was, but she was almost certain it was that Maadwoa girl. 

In a state of rage, she immediately calls Joy, who picks up on the second ring. 

'Hey Afia, wh--'

'How did you get that picture of Danny and the girl?'

'I sent that two days ago and I called. Are you now seeing it?'

'I has lost my phone. Now tell me everything.'

'Alright. So on Saturday, Kevin took me on a date to the bowling alley. I had to use the bathroom in the middle of the date and before you get to the restroom, there's a small VIP section. That's where I saw Danny and the girl, and some other people that I don't know. I took a quick picture before I left because I remember your order for us to keep an eye on him.'