Chapter 8.

Maadwoa's POV

  Today, Gifty, Tyler and I are going to eat out at a restaurant for dinner. Tyler has a car from his older sister that lives in the big city, and he said we should go out for the night and he'd pay for us. I tried to reason with him that I would help him pay but he firmly insisted. Bless that boy. Tyler has been my friend since we were five because my uncle and his dad are close friends. Gifty became our friend when we turned six and we were like the three marketeers.

I told uncle Kwame about it and he said I should go and enjoy myself, so he gave me a little money just in case I would need it. I told my aunt as well but she gave me a harsh lecture about how I always beg for food and money as if I am neglected at home. Uncle Kwame had to talk to her in order for her to let me go, but she told me that once I come back, I shouldn't eat the next day.

I step off my verandah and straighten my outfit, which was just a mid-length blue dress with white polka-dots. I told my uncle and aunt I was leaving, but my aunt didn't respond. Gifty lives behind me, so we usually visit each other. I head towards her house, skipping in excitement.

When I reach the green building, I see Gifty already sitting on a bench on the verandah. She smiles and gestures for me to come sit next to her. I take a seat next to her and greet her.

"Where are your parents?" I question.

"They've gone to visit one of my aunties." she informs me and I nod.

She gasps and pulls out her phone. "I have to show you something so cool."

I giggle and lean in to see whatever it is she wants me to see. She clicks on a bright yellow icon and our faces show up on the phone.

"What's this?" I ask in surprise.

"It's Snapchat. See, if you click on the filter and put your face in the camera, this happens." she says excitedly, facing the phone towards me.

After a second, I see dog ears and a dog nods pop up on my face. My eyes widen and I scream, covering my face.

"Gifty, what have you done! Did you turn me into a dog?" I exclaim, trying to feel for my normal face.

She remains silent for a few seconds until she bursts out into laughter, almost dropping her phone. I pout at her and grab her phone, looking at the screen for a reflection of my face. I see my normal face and sigh in relief. Thank God, I mutter to myself.

"You are so embarrassing, imagine if w-we were in public." she says between laughs, struggling for breath.

I shove her with a pout on my face but she continues to laugh anyway. I glare at her until I crack a small smile. I'm so stupid sometimes, even I laugh at myself.

"Okay, we don't speak of this, got it?" I ask, with a giggle.

"No promises." she says, wiping imaginary tears from her eyes.

I roll my eyes as I give her the phone back and we continue to play with the filters. I sigh as we make silly faces.

"So will you lend me money to buy a phone?" I ask with a cheesy smile.

"Go to sleep and dream because it's only in your dreams that I will give you money for a phone." she jokes and I groan in annoyance.

"Gifty, I need one too. I wanna use the phone to become a dog again but I'm broke." I whine.

She looks at me and laughs again. "Sorry, but I'm just as broke as you. You know my aunt gave this to me."

I nod. Then we hear sticks cracking on the ground from behind us. We turn around to see Tyler walking towards us. Gifty smiles and jumps excitedly from her bench to greet him with a hug and a peck on his lips. I roll my eyes playfully at the young couple. Must be nice.