Chapter 24

Gifty Badu lays in her bed, watching makeup videos on YouTube

Gifty Badu lays in her bed, watching makeup videos on YouTube. Ever since she's gotten this phone, she's been obsessed with makeup videos. She doesn't even own any makeup supplies, but the process of using it and outcome infatuates her. She especially likes the colourful eyeshadow palettes that all the youtubers seem to have. She knows not to ask her parents for it because they would give her a speech about how they will not waste their hard-earned money on something so useless. Gifty has been asking Tyler to lend her some money to buy makeup supplies, but he hasn't gotten around to it.

A knock at her door interrupts her thoughts. She looks up from the phone screen to speak.

"Come in." she calls to the person at the door.

The door opens with Tyler walking in and closing it behind him, leaving it open a crack. Gifty throws him a smile.

"Hey, your mom let me in." he informs her, and she nods, gesturing for him to sit.

He slowly takes a seat on the bed, looking around as if he's never been in her room before. Gifty pauses the video with a pout.

"No kiss today?" she whines, causing Tyler to playfully roll his eyes. He stands and leans down for his face to be hovering over hers, and places a short peck on her lips. She frowns as he pulls away to sit back down, but doesn't comment on it and continues the video.

Tyler rubs his hands up and down his pants anxiously. He knows he is there to talk to Gifty about something, but he doesn't know how to approach the topic without angering her.

"Erm... what are you watching?" he casually asks to start a conversation.

Without looking up from her phone, she answers. "Makeup videos."

Tyler chuckles at his girlfriend's obsession with those videos. He's told her countless times that she doesn't need makeup but she brushes him off.

"As usual. I don't even have to ask anymore." he says teasingly.

Gifty hums, not removing her eyes from the screen as the girl carefully applies eyeliner. "Since we're on the topic of asking things, let me ask you. When are you getting me the makeup?"

Tyler sighs, throwing her a pointed look. Right now, he simply cannot afford to give her the things she asks for. He wishes he could give her everything she wants, but he can't. He has tried to brush off her requests and make it up to her later when he can afford it, but she always seems to remember that he hasn't bought her something.

"G, you don't need makeup around me." he assures her.

She groans. "You always tell me that. The makeup isn't for you, Ty. I just want to experiment with different things on my face."

"So you just want makeup to experiment? Is it a chemistry assignment?" Tyler questions.

Gifty sighs, rolling her eyes at the screen. "Forget it, Tyler. I'll just continue to watch these videos without even having the supplies to replicate the looks."