✦ Intruders!

Kids played 'Rock-Paper-Scissors' five times with me. And there was the most hilarious part, when I lose twice, they decided to make me a snow target and to my luck, none of them could make those snowballs touch my head. That was a tie. Haha!

Today's morning, playing with joyful children was unusual, and now I was sitting on the porch experiencing cold pricking air, observing surrounding in the middle of the day. My parents were off to the shop for Christmas decor provisions. I wish they will be back soon.

The sun was shining brightly, probably brighter than yesterday on the mellow blue sky. However, there was no warmth on the land. All I could hear was the beautiful music playing in the neighbour's house since morning and the sound of vehicles plying on the street in front of my home. Some neighbours have already adorned their houses with pine ringlets and fairy lights. Christmas vibe's in the air.

My breath was making cloud like patterns in the freezing air, it was a pretty distraction from that text on my phone. I don't want to read, but I cannot delete that either. Clingy.

Staring at the sky, several thoughts passed by like the floating clouds-questions was always one of them.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw someone familiar walking towards my direction. It was Miles Edwards, one of my old friend, who helped me to solve some equations few months back for the first time at school. He was carrying a black skateboard and was wearing a matching bandana.

"Hi, Sage." He waved with a peace sign, smirking.

"Hello."

"What's interesting there?" He asked, pointing at the sky and I shortly glanced above before facing him.

"Colours." I answered quickly.

"Hm. I see it's yellow." He teased.

I smiled inwardly, not knowing what to say next.

"Skateboard," I said eying his skateboard, "It's cool."

"Yeah, I sometimes play."

"Oh."

And we both kept silent, until he asked again, "Is Mrs Wales home?"

"Nope." I said, suppressing another question, Why?

He took out a white, creased envelope and a card from his pocket. "Oh, shook! It looks ugly. She won't mind," he looked at me, "I think. Will she?"

I shrugged, blankly staring at the number written on the surface. He continued, "My mom send this to her. She changed her old number."

I only managed to say, "Oh, okay."

I didn't know they were this close to each other. My mama always loved getting letters from her friends, and it's a good surprise that my mama have friends who still send her letters despite living in the same place. And I happened to become a daughter who barely knows a single person. Well, well.

"So, how's holiday treating you?" He played with the wheels.

"Good." I replied shortly, and then he hit me with one-by-one questions.

"Test prep?"

"Not bad."

"Spare times?"

"Quite alone." I instantly closed my mouth as I found my answer almost true. I love solitude.

"Would you come if I invite you somewhere social?" He asked with a hoarse voice, as if he had a sore throat. But I wasn't sure about the social event, so I furrowed my eyebrows, thinking hard.