✦ Secret Note

Syon jogged downstairs carrying a large plastic bottle. He wasn't wearing his glasses and for a short time I thought his childish side was gone. When he caught sight of me with a book, he couldn't pass but ask,"Yo, which book are you reading?"

"Hey, it's just a non-fiction."

"Oh great!" He marveled throwing the bottle to and fro between his hands. Clora was humming in the kitchen, a chill music playing on the background. "Isn't she bothering you?"

"Not really. Actually, I was going to take a break." I said closing the book with a sigh.

"Ohk."

I smiled timidly when nothing came in my mind to proceed forward. He utterly stood there flipping his bottle, loss for words and kinda awkward. It was a short pause before he speak again like he was thinking of having a nice chat with me.

"Say, you are studying at GLC right?" He asked deliberately.

"Yes, I am."

"Wow, that's the only college that offers aerospace, astronomy and what not? That's awesome!" He grinned. "Étoile!" He gave me an another innocent smile.

I smiled back not understanding the last single word he said.

"Well, Clora's going to see her friends. She needs to water them." He said pointing to the kitchen.

"Like?"

"I know you'd be confused. Let's go first. I'll show you."

"Sure." I was just getting up when Clora called his name.

"Syon! Are you up?"

"We are just next to the kitchen, sister. What's with the loud noise?" Syon rolled his big eyes, unknowingly pushing his nose bridge with his thumb. Immediately, he realised he wasn't wearing his spectacles.

"Oops, I thought you two were upstairs, kiddo."

"Why did you call me?" He huffed, walking to the kitchen.

"Yeah yeah, calm down. C'mon in, Mr Syon Allen."

I standstill when she uttered the familiar word, Allen.

"I'm going to water plants first so would you mind peeling the potatoes?"

"Quelle surprise! I've never peeled potatoes before."

"Quit joking, kiddo!"

I heard her pouring water in something and then she appeared at the kitchen doorway where our eyes met. I was standing on the same place with the book on my hand.

"Sage, done with reading?"

"Yeah."

"Wanna come?" She offered dangling a small watering can in front of her.

I agreed.

"Clora, can I ask you something?" My voice went tight.

"Yup." She replied walking to the opposite hallway. "Let's keep our walk."

"Um..your surname's Allen? I'm just asking though."

"Allen?" She laughed softly. "Well, yes. We are the Allens. Why?" Her voice was gentle and besides she was warm and friendly that could make any nervous person comfortable. Just like me of course.

"Oh. Allen?"

"Yeah." She looked at me and then hesitation masked her face. "What's wrong?"

"It's nothing." I fake smiled throwing my hands in front of me.