"You've abused and tortured me for my entire life, and you're here telling me it was the devil using you?"

She shamefully bows her head and frown pulls on her lips. "I know, I have been a terrible person to you. I was supposed to be a mother to you, yet I've treated you like a stranger--"

"That's how you'd treat a stranger?"

She groans. "T-that's not what I meant. The point is... I am deeply sorry Maadwoa. I've regretted everything, and if I could go back 18 years, I would. Please, find a place in your heart to forgive me."

I lock my eyes on hers, trying to find any sign of deceit because this just did not make sense to me. I know they say people can change, but Nana is an exception. She's the most ruthless person I know and the time to apologise is way overdue.

"I just want to know why." I tell her.

"Why? Why what?" she queries.

"Why you hated me so much."

She slowly grabs my hand in hers and grips on tightly, preventing me from pulling away. I look up at her to see tears welling in my eyes and my mouth parts open in shock. I've never seen Nana cry once in my life, and to see her crying in front of me, made me almost...sad. Almost.

"The truth is... ever since your mother... died, I haven't been the same. She was... my best friend. The best older sister anyone could ask for. I miss her so much, more than you know. And you look exactly like her. Almost a replica. Seeing you just reminds me that she's... gone and I release all that hatred and sadness onto you. That's what I've been doing for the past 18 years and I am so sorry. My sister really loved me and she'd be disappointed to know that this is what I'm doing to her only child."

By the time she's done, there were tears rolling down my face as well. Every time I hear about my mother, I can't help but cry. Usually, Nana would mention my mother's name to spite and anger me, but today is the first time I've heard her talk so kindly about my mother. I've never even seen a picture of her, but Uncle Kwame tells me that I really resemble her. I don't know how to feel. A part of me doesn't want to forgive Nana because of how much I've suffered but another part of me feels sympathy because in a weird way, I understand her. Her older sister was taken away from her - because of me- and every time she looks at me, she is reminded that her sister will never come back to life all because I was born. Even though that's a sick reason to maltreat me, it's understandable that all the pain has made her bitter and angry.

"D-don't cry." I coax, trying to stop her from sobbing. She shakes her head as more tears stroll down her face.

"I'm just... so sorry. I'm a terrible person and I wish I could take back everything I did or said to you. Please, please, forgive me. I'm begging you."

The sympathetic side of me took over. "Please, calm down."

She sniffles. "Do you forgive me?"

I sigh. "I need time to really trust and forgive you. But, I don't want there to be any bad blood between us anymore. I want us to have a healthy relationship."

She approvingly nods, wiping the tears off her face. "I understand. I also want us to mend our relationship. I even have a good way to start."

"How?"

"Moving back in. Please. Let's start fresh."

I was really having fun staying with Gifty, but I also wanted to have a happy life with my aunt. She couldn't resort to her abusive ways after this type of apology.

"Um, are you sure?"

"Yes, I am. Please, it's been way too silent by myself." she pleads, still holding onto my hand.