22. - GROWING PAINS

Start from the beginning

"Maybe it doesn't have to. I talked to Bonnie, she says she's stronger than ever, there might be something that she can do to help you."

"No, the only thing that's going to help is for you to feed and complete the transition." Letha nodded in agreement.

"We have all day before she has to feed, Damon. That's a day to exhaust every possible way out of this."

"There is no way out of it. We all know the drill. You feed or you die. There is no door number three."

Letha pointed at him, "As much as I hate to agree with him, he's right," Damon looked at her in shock, "Every other vampire has been given these two choices, it's not going to be any different now, and you need to feed before we lose you for real."

"I was ready to die. I was supposed to die. I don't – I don't want to be – I can't be a vampire! If there's something that Bonnie can do we have to try." Elena said crying and slightly hiccuping.

"We will. We'll try everything."

Damon scoffed and rolled his eyes, "Your choice, Elena. As always." Damon got up and left the room, Stefan quickly following.

Letha kept her gaze to the floor, her words small and childlike, "Please don't do this, I can't lose you too." Elena tightened her grip on her hand, the smell of her sister's blood not even crossing her mind, "I know I sound so selfish, but I don't want you to go."

"I'm not going anywhere, we'll figure this out. I promise." She patted the spot beside her on the bed, and Letha climbed in beside her the way they used to when they were kids, "I really am sorry about Klaus, I know you really cared for him — and he really cared about you."

Letha shook her head, before resting it on Elena's shoulder, "Everyone keeps telling me that time heals all wounds, but no one can tell me what I'm supposed to do right now. Right now I can't sleep. It's right now that I can't eat. Right now I still hear his voice and sense his presence even though I know he's not here." Her hands shook, the hole in her chest ever present, "Right now all I seem to do is cry. I know all about time and wounds healing, but even if I had all the time in the world, I still don't know what to do with all this hurt right now."

"I don't think I can survive loosing you as well."

——————

Letha woke up awhile later to a commotion, her sister having soothed her to sleep. Rubbing her eyes, she felt slightly refreshed but still numb.

She raced down the stairs, and let out a small squeal as a bunch of officers turned their guns to her, "I'm unarmed," she thought about the knife in her boot, "technically."

Elena pushed her behind her, as Stefan tried to calm them down, "Elena, Letha, don't move."

"We're so fucked."

—————

Letha drummed her fingers on the table anxiously as herself and Elena were held in the pastor's house. Elena was chewing on her fingernails as the Pastor turned the fire on the stove on, "You still want to be a writer? I remember how you'd read your short stories to my daughter when you'd babysit. She still loves writing because of you." He smiled at Letha too, "Are you still dancing? I'm afraid April isn't nearly as graceful as you."

"Why did you bring us here?"

"My deputies can watch out for us here. No vampires have been invited in. Look, girls, I know it sounds crazy, but years ago it was your parents who were advocating having an emergency plan like this. I never thought we'd actually have to use it." Letha noticed Elena glaring at the clock in pain and cursed under her breath, "Elena? Elena, you okay?"