01. - AS I LAY DYING

𝔱𝔞𝔩𝔩𝔶 𝔪𝔞𝔯𝔨𝔰
un. — runaway!

The night was bleak and gloomy, icy winds plaguing the air on the strange night

The night was bleak and gloomy, icy winds plaguing the air on the strange night. Trees rustled in the breeze and the wind howled into the night, but not a trace of life could be found on that old road apart from the figure of a young girl.

Letha wrapped her coat tighter around her small, shivering frame, the weight of her bags making her journey slower. She flinched at every little noise as she walked along the deserted road that led out of Mystic Falls. It was a tough choice, but a necessary one. Everybody was lying to her, her family, her friends — who could she turn to?

She'd thought she'd gone mad when she noticed the first inky black line drawn on the inside of her right wrist. Then more started appearing, Letha hadn't understood what they had meant at the time but made sure to redraw the permanent marker every time it faded. It was only when the lines suddenly made a tally she started to figure out what was happening. Letha had been obsessed with Doctor Who for a few years and she could vaguely remember the creatures that they forgot every time they looked away, so to know that they'd looked at them, the characters would draw tally's on their bodies.

That was when she first noticed the blanks in her memories. The times when the idea that she'd been at home all night were in her brain, yet she couldn't recall what she'd been doing, or when her mind would simply be blank of the past few hours.

Then the notes started appearing. Her messy handwriting attached to random scraps of paper, warning her not to trust anyone, yet she could never recall writing them.

One note she received from herself sent chills down her spine and made her realise she needed to get out of town, 'can't trust anyone, not even Jeremy and Elena!!'

So, she bided her time, all smiles and laughter while she secretly started stashing her money and packing. Letha even managed to buy some vervain the note she received about it being hastily written, she wasn't sure what she was actually suppose to do with the plant, so she placed it in the little locket part of her anklet. Nobody had since tried to remove her memories and for that she was glad, she had no idea how she was suppose to act in what she assumed to be the trance like state she was being put in.

All she truly wanted was for her life to go back to normal.

Since that obviously wasn't going to happen in Mystic Falls, she waited until Elena, Jenna and Jeremy were off doing god knows what, and checked herself into a small inn on the other side of town. She dyed her hair a light caramel shade of brown, vastly different from the deep chocolate brown that she had shared with her siblings. Before waiting a few days to get the hell out of dodge.

Not wanting to risk being followed, she couldn't get a bus out of town, and she'd failed her drivers test horrendously (three times). So, she saw her only options being to walk out of town and perhaps hitchhike when she was far enough away.