09. - THE RECKONING

𝔱𝔞𝔩𝔩𝔶 𝔪𝔞𝔯𝔨𝔰
neuf. — unhappy reunions!

Letha's eyes fluttered open, an annoyed groan leaving her lips as the brightness of her lightbulb blinded her momentarily

Letha's eyes fluttered open, an annoyed groan leaving her lips as the brightness of her lightbulb blinded her momentarily. She gazed round at the familiar yellow duvet littered with teddies she couldn't find in her heart to get rid of just yet, and the familiar white bookshelf her dad had built her when her collection started getting too large to just leave them lying about. Rudy lying at the end of her bed sleeping peacefully.

She was home.

The word left a bitter stinging in her heart. This wasn't home, not anymore. Home was where you felt safe with people you trusted — Elena had taken that from her, "You are in so much trouble later." Her head snapped to the doorway where Jenna stood with her arms across her chest, "But not right now."

Her aunt rushed over to the bed and pulled her into her embrace. Letha relaxing in her arms, the familiar strawberry shampoo enveloping her senses, "I missed you so much." Jenna cried into her hair.

"I'm sorry, Jen." Stefan had told her that her aunt had no knowledge of vampires until the day after Letha had ran from their home. She was glad to have one person in her life that hadn't lied to her, and felt tremendously awful for worrying the kind woman.

"I'm just glad you're home safe," she pulled away slightly, "but with Klaus?" She'd been shocked to find him standing on her doorstep with her niece unconscious in his arms.

Letha frowned in confusion, her nose crinkling,"You know Nik?"

"Just from stories. Though I did meet him once."

It was the night of the sacrifice, a few hours to go until it would begin. Jenna set off to the town centre, determination in her steps. One of her nieces was about to be sacrifice on an alter of fire, and the other had been missing for over a day leaving only a vague note.

And since the police weren't going to do anything about the missing teen, she would.

In her shaking hands she held a stack of missing posters, her nieces beautiful face smiling back at her. She plastered one to every tree and lamppost she could find, even though everyone in Mystic Falls knew everyone — Jenna felt like she had to do something.

She was frustratedly trying to get the stapler to work, her sight becoming unfocused as tears blurred her vision. Her chest wracked with sobs as she though about how she had failed her sister, "Excuse me, love. Are you alright?"

Jenna spun around in shock, her hand flying to her chest as she faced the handsome blonde man, "I'm fine— I just can't get this damn thing to work." She hiccuped, her face flushing with embarrassment.