22. - GROWING PAINS

( outfit for
chapter above )

i'm on such a roll updating this story it feels great

𝔱𝔞𝔩𝔩𝔶 𝔪𝔞𝔯𝔨𝔰
vingt-deux. — my sister's keeper!

Letha's hand was clenched tightly around Elena's cold one

Letha's hand was clenched tightly around Elena's cold one. She was sat beside her sister's bed waiting for her to wake up, Letha refused to move or eat no matter how much Jenna, Jeremy and the Salvatore's tried to coax her away. Damon and Stefan were in the room too, and she simply brushed off their whisperings about her state.

The grief she was feeling felt so much like fear, she was not afraid but she had the same fluttering in her stomach, the same restlessness. At other times it felt like being mildly drunk, or concussed. Letha felt that there was some sort of invisible blanket between the world and herself. She found it hard to take in what anyone was saying. Or maybe she just didn't want to. It was all so uninteresting.

Letha stared at her sister's pale face for a moment and wondered what she was feeling. Was it cold and dark? Was she scared? Maybe she simply felt a peace. In that moment Elena's doe brown eyes shot open and she sat up gasping for air, her hand still in Letha's squeezing it tightly.

"Letha?" Elena blinked slowly at her before spotting Stefan sat on the other side of the bed, "Stefan?"

"Hey. I'm right here. You've been in and out for hours." Stefan smiled at her comfortingly, her sister easing slightly at the sound of his voice, it broke her heart just a little more to see it.

"Wh-what happened?"

"You were in an accident."

Elena started panicking and looking around the room, "Oh my God. Matt is he...?"

Damon interrupted from the window seat, everyone turning to him as he spat out bitter poisonous words, "Alive?" He scoffed, "Ask Stefan. The hero."

"He's fine."

Elena seemed confused and Letha bit back tears, "Thank you. I thought that I – how did you...?"

"Save you? He didn't." Both Stefan and Letha glared at Damon.

Stefan took Elena's other hand in his, "When Jeremy brought you to the hospital before all this happened, your injuries were worse than anyone knew. Meredith Fell made a choice, she used Damon's blood to heal you."

"And when Rebekah ran Matt's truck off the road, you had vampire blood in your system, Elena."

Elena's breathing suddenly started to become erratic as she realised the true reason she was still breathing, "Oh my God. Does - does that mean that I – am I dead?" Nobody answered her, "No, no, no, no! That wasn't supposed to happen!"