Chapter 11: "This can't be..."

"Did you consider Maeve's warnings, given that Theo and you were getting closer?" Detective Richardson enquired.

"Theo seemed like a nice guy, but someone whom you don't want to be friends with readily given his loneliness. I didn't know why he didn't get on well with his fellow classmates. Maybe everyone mistook his silence for arrogance," I shrugged.

"Hmm... However there is one thing that I fail to understand. Why was Maeve so insistent on you breaking your ties with him? Was she... jealous?"

I tried to hold back an amusing chuckle, but a snort escaped my lips instead. The detective watched me with a confused look. "I'm sorry detective, but it's just--" I let out the giggle that had been building up in me as my stomach ached with laughing. "Why would Maeve be jealous of me? What did I have that she didn't? The Rosensteins and Hawthornes go back way before either of them was born. If Maeve wanted Theo, she would've gotten him. Heaven forbid if Maeve envied me for befriending someone whom she didn't even like!"

"But what if Maeve was telling the truth of how untrustworthy Theo was? Didn't you consider that as a possibility?"

"I did understand that Theo and his dad couldn't look one another in the eye, but the real reason behind the hostility in their actions was yet to be unveiled... and I was not ready for it."

******

S E P T E M B E R 1 7, 2 0 1 9

"So how well did you know Miss Fernandez?" Detective Gonzalez asked as I was seated across from him in the library, the room eerily quiet except for the sound of the ticking clock in the far corner of the room

"I didn't. The only time I noticd her was at the bonfire, accompanied by thirty others at the least," I explained.

"Did you notice anything strange in her behaviour?"

"No, not really. She was laughing and having fun with her friends just like the rest of us."

"Friends as in Heather McCarthy and Andrew Kingsley?"