𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑 𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐃

STAR CROSSED

'CAUSE WE CALLED ALL
THE ANGELS TO SAVE US,
CALLED THEM BY NAME,
BUT I GUESS THEY GOT LOST

prologue.

let me set the scene:

Tuesday, 1:32 in the afternoon, a regular work day for a young doctor Josephine Steele. She pinned her two braids to her head and proceeded to place her scrub cap over it and tie a tight bow so it couldn't come loose during surgery. Quickly she did the same with her surgical mask and rushed to scrub clean her hands and forearms. Through her peripheral vision, she saw that her colleague was doing the same, almost in synchronization. She would have thought more about it if it weren't for the car crash victim being prepared for heart and brain surgery behind the glass window in front of them.

   Turning off the water, and shaking off the few excess water droplets from her hands, she gave Daniel the look they always give each other whenever they went into surgery: it was look that conveyed reassurance: you are capable, you can do this. And without hesitation he returned it before following her actions and entering the operating room right behind her.

   They were surrounded with their own team of nurses who pulled them into a sterilized gown and helped them put on two white surgical gloves at the same time they tied their gown shut. In contrary to Daniel, they adjusted Josephine with a headset and magnified surgical glasses as she took her place in front of her patient's now shaved skull, and Daniel stood to her right, over the patient's chest.

   Once everyone was in place, Daniel looked towards Josephine, who was the lead surgeon in this case.

   Josephine looked back at him, "Alright, Dr. Amore, let's make sure Penelope has a chance to meet her daughter. 10-blade."

two lovers,

"No, she's gone." Josephine dropped her instruments and took off her headset and glasses. "Damnit," She whispered at the same time she pulled down her mask. "Time of death, fourteen-twenty-one."

   She took a deep breath, held it for four seconds before slowly releasing it. Daniel noticed this and nodded at the rest of the surgical staff that they would close her up.

Once the last person exited the room, Daniel moved over to stand besides Josephine, who had already started to repair their patient's skull. He stood silent as he watched her work so expertly like she had the previous thousands times.

"Jo," He called to her softly as he lowered his mask, but got no answer, the only sounds were metal tools screwing into hard bone. So, he tried again, "Josephine."

When she finished tightening the third screw, she finally looked at him, waiting for him to continue.

"It's alright to be upset." She was about to say something back but was stopped by his sharp, overpowering voice. "You did everything you could, but we both know that her injuries were too extensive to recover from. The body can only go through so much trauma, and she had used the last of her strength on delivering her baby girl."

She wanted to argue, say that she it was her lack of surgical skills, that it was her fault she couldn't perform to the best of her abilities which resulted in this fatality, but she knew what he was saying was all true. The logical side of her brain knew it since the moment they performed an emergency c-section in trauma room one; however, the other side of her brain, the piece that was hopeful—that wanted to believe that everything will work out—had overtaken her senses, it's what made her a good doctor, but hurt her soul when she had to face the truth once again.