Chapter LXIII

"Please Brandon stop."   Brian said in his sleep as the car went down the highway.  He began to thrash in his seat as he continued to plead with his brother.  "I'm sorry I was bad."  A look of pain was across his face as he spoke in a soft tone whimpering tone.  "I'll be good just please stop hitting me."

Sympathy filled Burt as he looked at his suffering son.  Memories of the beating that Brian had endured last night went through his mind.  Guilt stabbed at his heart with each crack of the belt and whimper that followed.   Self loathing rose inside of him as he thought how did nothing to stop a beating which was way too severe for the crime that he was guilty of.  He chided himself for returning to his study and caring more about his next shot of whiskey then he did about his two sons.

"Please stop."  He said as he became more panicked causing Burt to pull over to the side of the road.

Burt put the car into park and said "Buddy."  He then gently began to shake him.  "Buddy wake up."  But the boy did not respond as he continued to cry for mercy.  "Come on Buddy wake up."  He said and began to shake him harder.

Buddy let out a cry as yelled "Please stop."  An pulled away from him covering himself.  His body shook and trembled as he said "No more."

"Buddy calm down it was just a dream."  He said in a soothing tone.

Brian looked around confused as his heart pounded is chest.  It took him a few minutes to realize where he was.  His cheeks turn a light scarlet as he began to calm down.  "I was having a dream...."

"About the whipping you got from Brandon last night."  His face was a mask of guilt as he spoke.

"No."  Brian said as he shook his head.  He rubbed his eyes.  "I was dreaming about the beating I got in the parking lot yesterday."

"Oh."  He said.   "Do you want to talk about it?"

"What's to talk about."  Brian said with a shrug.  "Brandon told me to do something, I refused to obeyed him so he swatted me until I complied."  His cheeks became a darker red at the memory.  "Just one of the three certainties in life."

Burt looked at him confused.  "Three certainties?"

"Yes death, taxes, and getting a beating when you are a boy in a small town."   Burt found himself wanting to smirk at what his son's idiom but suppressed it.  "I mean that's just our lot in life right.  Jasper gets beat by his dad, Eric will probably get one from Uncle Eli for disturbing class today, I got two yesterday from Brandon."    He then thought of Brooks.  "Brooks got a spanking today."  Butch will probably get one at some point if he has not gotten one yet.

"Well in regards to Brooks, Jasper, and Eric they deserved to get their butts beat for what they did."

"Jasper got more then he deserved."  He said bitterly.  "Mister Moore went overboard with him."  And he probably has yet to stop. "I mean I got whipped last night as means of correction but what Mister Moore has done to him is nothing more than retaliation.  He was getting back at him for what he did not disciplining him."

"I can't disagree with you there."   He said as an awkward feeling went through him.  "What do you think about Brian swatting you in the parking lot yesterday."

A smile formed at the edge of his mouth.  "Daddy I am Brian."

Burt then smirked.  "You know what I meant."

"I know."  He said with a smile which disappeared and was replaced by a somber look.  "I don't think Brandon was retailating when he hit me.  I was being stubborn and he did what he did to correct my attitude."