Byron

Brian and Butch sat on the couch watching television.  An episode of Friends played on the screen.

"So what do you think happened?" Butch asked.

"Well Ross thought that they were on a break..."

"I mean with Byron and his mom." Butch said.

"Oh that." He took a drink of his soda. "I have no idea."

"I wish we had a way of talking with Byshee so we can find out what happened." Butch said.

"I wish we could talk to them whenever we wanted." Brian said frustrated. "I hate to say but I don't think we will be seeing them anytime soon."

"I have that feeling too."  He said.  Butch then looked at his phone.  "Eric sent a text."

"What does he have to say?"  Butch said.

"That you don't have to worry about the school hating you anymore." Butch said up as he spoke. "Coach Trelfa confessed that he turned the team in."

"What?"  Brian said. "That can't be right."

"He's saying that he sent the team a text message telling them what they did.  That he was sorry to turn them but did it out of their best interests."  Butch read.

"Well will wonders never cease." Brian then ate a potato chip. 

"Eric says that team is feeling hurt and betrayed by it."  Butch said.

"I imagine they are."  Brian said.  

The door then opened and Burt walked in.  He had dropped Parker off at his home with instructions not to leave his room until his mother comes home.  He doubted he was going to obey it though.

The two stood at attention.

"Hey boys."  Burt said. "Where is he?"

"In the room like you told him."  Brian said.

"Why don't you boys go sit in the kitchen."  Burt said.

Sympathy filled their eyes as they were sure what was coming next.  Brian turned off the television and they went into the kitchen.

Burt walked into the bedroom where Byron was standing in the corner.  A twinge of sympathy went through him as he looked at his son.  Something really bad must have happened at home for him to do this.

"Turn around Byron."  Byron turned and he saw a look of defiance in his eyes.  One that matched the defiance he normally saw in Parker's.  "Come over here."   Byron walked over to his father and he said "You realize that you are in a lot of trouble don't you."

"Yes daddy."

"I told you that I would come up and talk to you son."  Burt said.

"I know daddy." Byron said. "But I could not stay there one more minute."

"So you called a cab while your mother was at the grocery store and ran away."  Burt said.

"Yes I did."  Byron said unashamed.

"You know your mother is furious."  Burt said.

"I don't care daddy."  Byron said. "She can go hang for all I care."

"Watch it Byron." He said. "I am not going to tolerate you disrespecting you mother."

"What about disrespecting me?"  Byron asked.  "Why do I have to respect her and she does not have to disrespect me."  

Burt blinked in shock.  He did not expect that to come from his mouth.  "Have a seat."  Byron gave him a look that said I would rather stand.  Burt jabbed his finger at the bed and said in an stern voice.  "Sit."

Byron then sat down.  "I maybe sitting on the outside but I am still standing on the inside."

"I don't like this attitude I am seeing from you Byron."  Burt said as he sat next to him.

"I know daddy." Byron said.

"Tell me what happened."  Burt said. 

"Mom asked me what we did."  Byron said.  "I told her about going to eat, what we talked about, what we talked about in the car and when we did when we got back.  I told her about meeting Brendan and Brooks."

"And you told her about the earrings."  Burt said.

"Yes but she didn't care about that."  Byron said.

"She didn't?"  Burt said.

"No." Byron replied. "She would only care if I wanted one and I assured her that I had no interest in getting my ears pierced."

"Okay."

"Then I told her that we watched television and she started grilling me about what we watched."  Byron said.  "At first I lied to her about it.  Told her we watched Good Times and Barney Miller. You know shows that she would approve of."

"But she knew you were lying."

"Yeah."  Byron said.  "She saw right through me.  She then started putting the pressure on me until I finally told her about watching Burn Notice."

Burt cringed. "Did you she tell you that I made you stop watching it."

"Yes but she did not care."  Byron said.  "She then said I could not hang out with Buddy or Butch anymore, I told her that was not fair, she told me that she did not care, that she was my mother and I was going to do what she said.  And then I told her that I did not want to live with her anymore."

Burt rubbed his hands together as he said "And then you called me this morning."

"Yes I was upset."  He said.  "She said I was being a being rebellious reprobate and then made me stand in the corner for calling you."  Anger filled his eyes. "For calling my own father. She has no right to tell me that I can't call my own father."  

"And then you ran away." Burt said.

"Yes sir."

"You know you have to go back."  Burt said.

"No I don't." Byron then jumped to his feet.

"Yes you do."  He said.  "She has custody of you."  

"I checked the law dad."  Byron said. "At sixteen I can decide which parent to live with.  And I am going to live with you."

"Byron."  Burt said as he stood up.

"I'm going to live with you."  Byron yelled. "If you send me back to her I will just run away again and if you don't let me live here I will run away to my grandparents."  Tears filled his eyes. "Just let me live with you dad.  Ground me for the summer, make me stand in the corner every day for the next month, whip my backside bright red for disobeying you I don't care just let me live here." He then wiped his eyes.

"I would but she might not allow me to see Byshee or Barret."

"Then fight for them." Burt yelled.  "Fight for me." He said and turned away from him.

"Okay I will talk to your mother." Burt relented.

"Thank you."

"But I am upset with you for running away." Burt said.

"I know." Byron hung his head as he waited for punishment.