Chapter LII

A couple of hours had passed since Brandon brought Butch home and his conversation with Amber.  Amber called him a few minutes later profusely apologizing for her roommate, assuring her that she was lying, and that she had remained faithful to her.  He told her that he believed her even though he still had his momma's voice in his mind telling him that she was lying.

After speaking with Amber the drama in his own family seemed to get worse.  He heard from Mason that she was threatening to spank him, even to go as far as come to the college.  She had sent him a couple of more texts about his attitude which he ignored.   And then he heard from his friend Jamie that the staff had walked out on his mother.

He had to admit that he did not blame them.  He had witnessed how his mother treated the staff and felt sorry for them. 

His father then contacted him assuring him that everything was okay which he was happy to hear.   After talking to his father Brandon had went to the kitchen to get himself a soda.  His stomached growled and he wondered where there were going to eat.  He thought it would be a good idea to get out of the house to eat.  The two of them has spent too long in the house and needed to get out.               

Brandon walked to his room and the blood rushed to his face at the scene before him.  Butch sat at his desk reading the article on the computer screen.  "Who said you could get on my computer."  He yelled causing Butch to jump to his feet and recoil back.   Fear and panic filled his eyes and his stomach began to twist in nervous knots.

              "I'm sorry."  his voice quivered as he spoke.  "I just wanted to check my Facebook and I didn't know the password to Buddy's computer."

             His eyes pierced through him as he said "Did Buddy give you permission to be on his computer."

             "No."  He said averting his eyes from Brandon's glare.

            "Then you shouldn't be on his either."  Brandon walked over to the desk and clicked out of the page.  Great he thought as he stared at the screen just great. 

            "I'm sorry Brandon."  Please don't spank me he silently begged.  

             Brandon's face was hard as stone as he turned to his brother  and said "If I find you on my computer again I'm going to tan your backside."

              "I understand."  He relaxed grateful that he was not about to receive another beating.  He then gave his brother an awkward look.  "Why are you reading about homeschooling?"

             "I'm doing research."  Brandon said as he continued to stare at the screen.  He kicked himself for leaving the page open.  He should have clicked out before going to the kitchen.

              "Why?"  He asked confused.  He then jokingly said "What are you planning to do, home school Buddy."

             Brandon looked at his brother and said "Yes."   Brandon collapsed in his chair.  "I know it sounds crazy."

             "Not really."  Butch said with a shrug and then sat in the chair across from him.

             "Excuse me."  Brandon said uncertain if he heard his brother right.  He was sure that his brother would be calling him nuts for thinking about it, that he needed to have his examined, try to talk to him out of it like Amber did.  The last thing he expected was his brother's approval of his idea.

             "I mean I get it."  Butch picked up his soda that sat on the desk and took a drink.  "There are a lot of bullies at Adams.  I've heard horror stories about stuff that goes on there."  He cringed as one story about Jasper being held down on the floor of the boy's locker and being repeatedly punched in the stomach by members of the soccer team.  Though from what he understood moments before Jasper had made some joke about the lack of intelligence among the jocks.  Not that justified what they did.   "And I know Buddy has been the victim of bullying."

            "You know about Randall."

            "Yeah."  He said.  "He told me how Randall likes to push him around in the hall, calls him name, and just makes life miserable for him."  Brandon's face went red with anger.  "And I've heard how some of the teachers can be there.  They can be real jerks to the students."

             "Exactly."  

             "And then there are the bad influences."  He said.  "The peer pressure can be really bad there."

             "I can testify to that."  Brandon said as he stroked his chin thoughtful.  "I wasn't the best influence on people while I was there."  I should have been he thought.  I should have been a good example to my team mates and my fellow students.  "So you think that I should home school him."

           "Absolutely."  He nodded.  He then looked down for a moment and then back up at his brother.  "I was also wondering if you could home school me."

           His eyes widened.  Surely he is joking Brandon he thought.  He's got to be a joking.  "You want to be home schooled?"  He asked and waited for the bazinga that he was sure would come.  He expected his brother to laugh and say no way and then tell him that he was nuts.

            "Yes."

           "Why he asked."  Never in all his time thinking about this had he imagined one of his siblings actually volunteering to be home schooled.  

            "For all the reasons I just mentioned.  For the reasons that you want to home school Buddy."   He said.  "Bullies, jerk teachers, and negative peer pressure.  I have been the victim of all of those too and I need a safer environment than St. Michaels."

            "I didn't realize that it was that bad for you there." 

           Butch took another drink of his soda and then placed it on the desk.  "It is."  He then let out a small belch.  "You have no idea how bad it is for me there."

         A moment of silence passed between them as Brandon contemplated what his brother said.  He had to admit when he had never considered home schooling any of his brothers other than Buddy.  Even the ones who were attending Adams and facing all crap that he wanted to get Buddy away from.  His sole focus had been on Buddy and protecting him.  But after hearing what Butch had to say he could not help but feel that he needed to be home schooled too.  That he had to keep him safe as well.

          "So you really want to do this."

          "Yes."  Butch said without hesitation.  "Please man get me out of that place."

         "Okay."  He said much to the boy's joy.  "If daddy and your momma agree to it I'll do it."

         "I'm sure they will."  Butch said confidently.  "Thank you."  He said with a look of pure gratitude across his face.  One would have thought that Brandon had handed him a million dollars.  He then eyed the laptop.  "May I get on your computer."

        "No."  He stood causing Butch to stand as well.  "You got on without my permission so you don't get that privilege.  Go back to Buddy's room, I will check in on you in a bit.

          "Okay."  He said as he came around the desk.

         He was about to leave when Brandon placed his hand on his shoulder.  "One more thing."  

           A ripple of nervousness crossed Butch's face.   "Don't tell anyone or you will whip my backside."  He then said "I promise I won't tell anyone not even daddy or my mom."

         "I am not going to whip you if you tell daddy, your momma, or Tony."  He said.  "I would rather you not but that is your choice."

        "What about your momma?" 

       "I would rather you not tell her either but that is still your choice."  He then said "But if you tell Buddy, or if Buddy finds out because you told someone else like one of our siblings or cousins..."

     "My backside will be roasted."

   "Yes."  Brandon said.

"Don't worry my lips are sealed."  Butch said.

"Keep them that way."  He said and Butch returned to Buddy's room.  Brandon sat at his wondered if Buddy will have some the reaction to his idea.  Doubt it he thought I seriously doubt it.