Chapter IX

After dinner Burt retired to his small study while his wife and their youngest did the dishes. He settled into his large leather chair that sat behind his oak desk and poured himself a beer. He took a drink from it relishing its taste and its relaxing effect on him. Between his company, his numerous offspring, and inordinate amount of exes he spent his life in a perpetual state of stress. And he was happy to have something that could reduce that stress.

His phone then rang bringing his frustration back. I can't ever escape can I he thought. He looked at the phone and saw that it was his oldest boy Ben. Or at least who he assumed was oldest boy. There could be a few others out there that he did not know about. A smile formed at the edges of his mouth as he picked up the front to talk to him.

A few minutes later Brandon walked into the room. He was on his way to his bedroom to check his social media accounts when he was summoned to his father's study. He could not help but feel a sense of apprehension as he walked into the room. Normally the only reason one was called into daddy's study was for punishment.

"You wanted to see me daddy." He said as he tried to figure out what he could have done to earn his father's wrath.

"Yes, boy have a seat." Burt took another sip of his beer and leaned back.

"Yes daddy." he said and then sat down.

"Did you want a beer."

Excitement was in his voice as he said "Yes thank you." Burt produced a second glass which he filled halfway and gave to his son. A look of disappointment crossed his face. He had hoped his father was going to let him drink a whole beer.

"I wanted to say that I am pleased with the how you are taking care of your brother" Burt told him.

"Thank you daddy." A small smile crossed his lips at his father's approval.

"You are doing a great job watching after him and I am glad that I have not regretted the faith and trust I placed in you." He said and the boy began to beam to pride. Burt gave his son a awkward look. "I need you to do me a favor."

"Anything sir." Brandon said and finished his beer.

"Ben is going to be busy at work tomorrow and he would not be able to look after Butch." Burt said. "You don't mind watching after him do you?"

"No of course not." Brandon said. It's not it's like the first time I have had to watch him.

"Now Butch does not have work tomorrow so he will be with you the entire day." Burt said. "Is that going to be okay?"

"Yeah it's fine. I love Butch daddy and I don't mind looking after him." Brandon told him.

"Good, good." A somber look crossed his face. "Butch is a good boy but he needs supervision. Who knows what kind of trouble he will get into if he is left to his own devices for too long."

"I understand sir."

Buddy then appeared at the door. "I'm finished with the dishes."

"Very good son." Burt said. For a moment he wanted to wave in his son into the room and reward him with a beer like he did Brandon. But then remembered his behavior earlier in the day and decided against it. Maybe another time he thought. "Go to your room and wait for your brother. He will be along in a few minutes."