Chapter XLIII

And don't think that one of your daddies is going to protect you. There is nothing that Mason Copeland or Burt Johnson can do to stop me. If you try to hide in your daddy's house I will just spank you there for your disobedience. I am not going to back off Mason, I will not be desueded You will be punished for your attitude.

Greta Foreman jaw's tightened as she read the newest text that Mason had received from his mother. Anger filled her eyes as she looked at her boyfriend who was cowering in the library chair barely able to hold himself together. She wanted to write back telling this worthless excuse for a mother what she thought about her. How she was a horrible person and that she was undeserving of any her children's respect or love.

Also she wanted to tell that the word was dissuaded not desueded.

But the last thing she wanted to do was make things worse for Mason. The twenty one year old knew that he had already been through enough because of his mother and the last thing she wanted to do was add to his grief.

"Pretty pathetic huh." Mason said. "Here I am a twenty two year old man soon to be twenty three in a couple of months, just finishing up my first year at graduate school, plan on being a high school teacher and I am completely afraid of my mother." He said as he gave her an embarrassed look. "I mean I was brave standing up to her by her text here at college but standing up to her face to face is a different matter entirely." He then ran his hands down his face. "I mean I had to hide behind my family when I told her that we were dating two years ago. I definitely could not do that on my own."

What was I thinking he thought. What I was thinking mouthing off to her. I should have just done what she wanted. Allowed her to have access to my social media. Yes I would have my privacy invaded but I would not be fearing getting my backside beat like a little boy.

"I remember that." She said uncomfortably. "I remember how scared you were that week."

"I was terrified." Mason said. He thought how he had almost chickened out several times.

His mind went back to that day.

He was sitting at the kitchen table when his mother returned from work that evening. He felt his body shake as he heard her announce that she was home and he desperately wanted to make a break for it. Burt seeing his distress placed his hand on his shoulder and assured him everything was okay to be okay. He then looked at the others who gave him the same reassurances, even Brandon who was set to also to reveal his dating status to her.

He did not know how his brother was being so calm. He was sure that he would have be as freaked out as he was.

"There you all are." She said in a sweet loving tone. She was about to ask what was going on when she saw her mother sitting at the table. Her smile quickly evaporated and she said "Mother you're." She said in mock excitement. "This is a pleasant surprise."

"Hello dear." Charlene McGovern said.

"Burt why didn't you tell me my mom was here." She shot him a invisible dagger.

"Have a seat dear." The sixty year old woman said.

"What is going on?" She said as she as she walked to the table.

"We are having a family meeting."

"About what." She said taking a seat at the head of the table. Burt sat to her left while her mother sat to her right.

"What's going on?" Mason who sat on the other side of Burt quickly looked away from her. Her eyes filled with concern as she looked at her first born and saw the guilt across her face. What did he do she thought.