Chapter 53: Purpose

Start from the beginning

'Oh, the loving world of politics.'

Suzuki sneered and then exited the apartment. Interestingly, his roommates never realized he was in the room until he left. Once outside, he obtained the address for the testing site from his phone. The company's app let him know, it was just a few floors below him.

Suzuki walked to the elevator and then placed his phone on the scanner. The system verified his identity and then granted him access to the restricted lower floors.

Suzuki left the elevator and then entered a door marked Gladiator Testing Site 1, where he found several full-body virtual drives occupying the room. Elsewhere, a large screen occupied most of the east wall, while a see-through glass window occupied the north.

Suzuki ran his fingers along the machines' slick bodies, eyes glazed over in deep thought.

The door slid open as a familiar voice called out, "Beautiful, aren't they?"

Suzuki turned to see Yukino enter the room, eyes oddly focused in on him. It felt like he was being studied by a predator deciding if he should live or not. He hid his discomfort behind a serene expression, turning his back as he replied, "Nothing beautiful about mere tools."

Yukino chuckled. "I know for a fact that you of all people don't mean that."

Suzuki frowned. He did not like the feeling of being read. "And what makes you say that?"

"According to your file, the virtual world is far more than a passing game. There's no way you haven't developed some affection for the one thing that makes that world possible."

Suzuki's fists tightened. "Files never tell the whole story. I would expect someone of your standard to understand that." He turned to meet her eyes. "... Or did I give you too much credit? Are you really just the mascot you appear to be?"

Yukino's expression stiffened somewhat, but the smile didn't leave her face. "Impressive. Using anger to destabilize your mark to gain a psychological advantage. Your file did mention you are excellent at manipulation." Yukino chuckled and adjusted her hair. "However, you are correct. Files do not tell the whole story, and it is wrong on my part to draw conclusions based on a sheet of paper." She closed the distance and then held out her hand. "I would like to formally introduce myself. My name is Asagi Yukino, but you can call me Yuki."

Suzuki stared blankly at her hand, but then grasped it after a few seconds. "Mato Suzuki. It's a pleasure... Asagi-san."

"Yuki."

"Of course, Asagi-san."

Her grip tightened, her face tightening as she struggled to keep the smile on her face. "Yu-ki."

Suzuki, revealing his inner pettiness, affirmed with a cold sneer. "I find it inappropriate to call an 'older' woman by her first name, A-sa-gi-san."

Yukino all but crushed the young man's hand as she turned beet-red. "You're not very popular with girls, are you?"

"Not at all. I am plain unpopular with everybody."

Yukino stared wide-eyed. She wasn't sure if it was what he said, the expressionless way he said it, or the matter-of-fact voice he used, but she was soon clutching her tablet to her chest in belated laughter,

Suzuki snorted. "I don't think it's exemplary to laugh at others' misfortunes."

Yukino's lips settled into a soft smile. "You finally dropped the formal speech. That's a start at the very least."