Chapter 50: Dreadful Exposition

Start from the beginning

In a month, there was a difference so stark; many could scarcely believe they were still in the same country. Racism had been all but squashed, guilds were growing left and right, and it seemed talks could soon resume with nearby neighbors.

It was a change worthy of the history books, and the name on everyone's lips was Leila Lightwood: leader, healer, visionary, disciplinarian, and ridiculously beautiful femme fatale. Most of the changes were rumored to have been proposed by her, and it was no wonder her guild was still the most feared despite having the smallest numbers of all.

BUT

Despite the glowering endorsement Leila and her guild-mates received, rumors floated in undercurrents. Stories of the true leader: a so-called demon who instigated the attack, devoured the previous king, and forced Absalon to submit. Bards secretly sang tales of a demon hound that dragged his enemies to the gates of hell. His name was unknown, but some claimed he may have once been a daeben.

With no proof, however, these stories were seen as uncouth slander against Leila's Maggots and were usually kept to backrooms and drunken bar talks.

Indeed, Rosendun had entered a golden age... but the man primarily responsible for bringing it there was nowhere to be found.

 but the man primarily responsible for bringing it there was nowhere to be found

Hopeful GuildHouse,

Ranad.

6th Mazem, 1092.

The Hopeful Maggots 'leader' had her head buried in piles of paperwork. Whoever said running a guild was easy didn't know what they were talking about. It was terrifyingly time-consuming, and she found herself having to forcibly tear herself away from the table when she'd spent way too long.

Leila placed her quill on the desk and rubbed her eyes. After a moment, she looked out the window at Fera's statue, which had been renamed to Fera's Square once it became a local attraction. She couldn't help but feel a surge of pride at the adventurers running about accepting quests and whatnot. The town had really grown, just as he'd said it would, and with the way things were going, even his crazy dream might be a reality.

A month had passed since the Battle for Riven, yet humorously, the last time she'd set eyes on the real leader was three weeks ago. The lazy bum claimed he wanted to explore, and selfishly pushed all responsibilities unto her.

Leila smiled. Not that she minded. She enjoyed actually controlling her fate for once. In reality, Adachi Ayumi's life was dictated by her father, corralled by her teachers and strangled by her peers. Here, Leila was in charge of her fate: a fact she relished to no end.

Leila glanced beyond Fera'sStatue to the sky's horizon. It was unknown who exactly she was thinking ofwhen she whispered,"Where are you?"

 It was unknown who exactly she was thinking ofwhen she whispered,"Where are you?"