Chapter 9~Biting Back

Start from the beginning

   Rachel stared at me incredulous. "Are you kidding me? Your-"

   "The toughest Were you know. I get it...but that's all I am. I know how to intimidate others and I'm-"

   I hadn't realized I began ranting until Rachel interrupted me. "Mckayla...that's not what I was going to say." Rachel face lined into a smile, reaching over, patting my hand that rested on the bed. "We all know how powerful you are...but, I was talking about how coming back to this pack, you were blind to all you were coming back to. But you faced us. After all that this pack, Nina...our father put you through...you came back and stayed." Rachel grabbed my hand and I stared down seeing our hands linked. "You haven't stated anything in the open about how you really feel about everyone, becoming our Alpha, but we know you care for us."

   "There's nothing to say," I said knowing I was lying to myself.

   Rachel smirked. "This would be the part when grams would say something like 'Lee Lee your not fooling anyone, nor your wolf'," Rachel imitated our grandmother being right on point.

   We stared at each other having a moment of silence for our grandmother until Rachel began laughing. For moment I was bewildered to her sudden outburst until my mind started to somehow link with hers. In the next second, catching my own self off guard I started laughing. Our grandmother was unique in her own way. She saw things in ways no one could ever understand making her seem crazy and weird to others. But she lived over five centuries and experienced so much. I had things; abilities about me that no one knew of, I'm sure there was something Rachel would have special about her.

   As I fell into my laughter I remembered the countless stories my grandmother use to tell me.

   "Wow..." I turned to Rachel as she gave me a furtive look. "Do you feel that?"

   I stared dumbfounded. "Feel what?"

   "That warmth. Here," Rachel pressed her hand over my stomach and then to my chest over my heart.

   I closed my eyes trying really hard to feel what Rachel was talking about. I wanted to feel whatever it was for Rachel's sake.

   I felt Rachel's hand brush my cheek. I opened my eyes to her and she had tears so close to the edges. "I'm happy you're my sister. I'll never regret you."

   There it was. My stomach and chest felt warm and overwhelmed with a massaging pressure inside me. "Warmth," I said absently.

~~~
Nina
~

   I listened through the door as I was curious to the laughter that came through it. It wasn't something anyone naturally saw or heard out of Mckayla. If Mckayla would smile, many times it seemed mechanical; forced.

   I wished I could see it for myself but I would be patient. I knew the day would come for me, Kaylee, and the whole pack to see that side of her.

   "We have guest," Sara said coming up to me.

   I nodded. I listened a few seconds. Werewolves. We could hear everything.

   Mckayla opened the door arching a brow at me. She knew I was eavesdropping. "She wants you," Mckayla told Sara.

   Sara walked passed us into the room as Mckayla continued to stare at me.

   "I'm sorry...I couldn't--"

   "Don't worry about it." Mckayla smiled lightly. "Let's go see what they want."

   As we walked through the house making our way outside my eyes caught Jace's first. He smiled widely our way, more so at Mckayla. They had a bond that Mckayla didn't acknowledge but it meant so much to Jace. I knew he missed her and wanted to embrace her with a hug. For eight years they bonded and though Mckayla was a most times from what I heard, they bonded. She wouldn't have kept going back to his pack, otherwise.