Chapter 9~Biting Back

Mckayla
~

  A few days passed and I hadn't smelt a whiff of Rogue, her father, or their rogues. That should have brought me a positive feeling but it didn't. The tranquility was a casuistry I wasn't falling for. Sal had other plans in his pocket for me.

   "Mom," Kaylee screamed excitedly, jumping up and down. I shuddered to being called mom. It was still new to me as if it didn't fit my description. How did I come from killer ass rogue to soon to be Alpha mom? "Rachel's waking up."

   My eyes darted to Kaylee as I hurriedly made my way to the back room where Rachel had been getting nursed back to health. Bran began looking better than ever the day before, color reappearing to alert me of his health improving.

   Walking into the room, it was already packed with drowned-in-happiness Weres. When they saw me approaching the pack easily made an opening for me to walk through. Kaylee grabbed onto my hand and I held it firmly.

   In full view of Rachel I stopped short of her bed waiting for her eyes to turn to me. Sara was still embracing her as Rachel sat slightly up in the bed in Semi Fowler position, pillows huddled under her back for support. Nina was sitting on the opposite end of Sara.

   Nina turned to me smiling as she stood. "Everyone. Let's go," Nina called out. "You'll all see her once she's out of bed."

   Everyone obediently left leaving Sara, Kaylee, Nina, and I alone with Rachel.

   Once Sara pulled away from Rachel, I was finally able to see my little sisters face. She looked a lot healthier and well rested.

   Rachel saw Kaylee's eager posture and smiled. "Come here little niece."

   Kaylee moved fast, climbing onto the bed as she fell into a hug. "I'm glad you are okay auntie. Both moms been grouchy since you were hurt."

   I arched a brow as Nina snickered.

   "Have they?" Rachel said in a fake shocked expression. "Well you just come straight to me if they continue."

   "Alright. I think I can handle it but I'll keep that offer in mind." Kaylee was just too smart for her own good.

   "Alright blabbermouth. Let's give mom some time with Rachel," Nina said.

   Sara agreed to that also getting up. "I'll be right outside the door."

   Rachel chuckled. "I'm not going anywhere."

   Sara frowned rolling her eyes as she walked out. Nina followed out with Kaylee squeezing my arm before completely passing me.

   Once Rachel and I were alone, I clutched my jaw shut, inhaling through my nose. I couldn't face her eyes just yet. My wolf had given me my emotions back and not thinking of it, I hadn't felt my wolf since I told Nina the truth of what happened after seeing Rogue and Sal again. Nina had never been so verbally angry with me before and honestly I didn't want to ever make her that mad at me again. In truthfulness, I probably would. I could be a jerk by nature.

   "Your quiet," Rachel said.

   I took another shaky breath facing her. She didn't demonstrate being in any type of pain and I was thankful for that. The vivid memory of Rachel being so brutally attacked rewind and I frowned.

   "Mckayla..."

   I turned to my sister not realizing that my head drifted away from her direction.

   "I love you too," she said.

   She knew what was going on in my head. I wasn't strong enough to say those words. The fear of losing her was too much to even think about. I walked closer to her, sitting on the edge of the bed. "You're braver than me...you know that?"