Chapter 23~Uncontrolled Changes

Nina
~

For fifteen hours I slept beside Mckayla ultimately watching her sleep with no pretending of being exhausted. It had taken her a few hours to keep her eyes closed for more than a few minutes as if her back was against the wall with enemies facing her, when all she was now surrounded by family and friends. She looked so exhausted. For the last few hours I just watched her. I didn't want to think about what she went through or how much she suffered but that was the only thing coming back to my mind.

Mckayla was motionless, not even breathing to cause the effect of her chest to rise and fall. She looked the same yet different. Her hair was an inch longer, untamed. There was no effort to clean herself still covered in blood with an unshowered scent. I never made a comment. She looked like she was in pain; her face hardened and stressed in her sleep. Mckayla slept on her back but that didn't destroy the memory of the scars I saw. Sal had found some way to always remind Mckayla of what he done to her. Hate was a strong word that I never wanted to equip my mind with but I hated him. My mind was trying to block me from the truth of her real change. She was different. Not Werewolf; and not a scent I ever recognized. She smelled similar to the vampire, Elena.

What was Mckayla now? I couldn't think like that. Mckayla was my mate and like I said I would always love her. Nothing would change that.

There was a knock at the door. I stood off the edge of the bed opening the door to find Kaylee trying to look pass me to her mother.

I quickly stepped out of the room closing the door behind me.

"I want to see my mom," Kaylee said demanding.

I looked over Kaylee, finding Laurie standing a few feet behind with fear roasting in her eyes. Her wolf eyes flickered for a few seconds diminishing when her eyes linked with mines. She turned away and I walked closer to both the girls.

"You two...come here." Kaylee frowned staring up at Laurie. Laurie backed away from Kaylee, whimpering due to Kaylee's quick look alone. I narrowed my eyes at Kaylee.

"I'm sorry," Kaylee said before I spoke.

"You're McKayla's daughter, Kaylee, yet Laurie is now your sister. Only in a different way. Let that settle in your mind."

Kaylee turned her gaze back to Laurie with a softer expression. "I'm sorry Laurie," Kaylee said sincerely with guilt.

Laurie only nodded too afraid to look at Kaylee.

"Let her rest."

"But I haven't seen her in--"

"Kaylee...let her rest. I promise..." I looked at Kaylee, extending my hand out for Kaylee to take it..."she isn't going anywhere."

"Is she okay. I-I feel so...tired and weak..like she's..." Laurie cut off her own words looking away with tears in her eyes.

"You are bonded to her...and I may not understand how everything works but she's just really tired. She will come to you once she is up."

They both nodded walking off and I sighed exaggeratedly from the stress that had been building inside me since Mckayla was taken. I hadn't been able to release; let go of the fear of still losing Mckayla. The only thing that changed was how I could lose her.

"You can't let your mind think the worse." Rogue came up handing me a plate of steak. "You should eat."

"You don't have to take care of me. I know you were only doing so for Mckayla's sake."

"You think I worry for you because of Kayla?"

I narrowed my eyes at her not naive. Rogue had no reason to care for me other than for Mckayla.