Chapter 8~Clawed Fingers

Nina
~

  When Mckayla and Cormic arrived back they didn't say much about what happened. I didn't push. We had our dead to deal with.

   It took us an entire day to celebrate and perform the rituals needed for every Were we lost.

   Mckayla led us on the hunt and now everyone was cuddled side by side back within pack home.

   I was happy despite the lost of Felix, Jerome and his siblings were able to reunite with their sister.

   I was about to curl next to Kaylee when I noticed Mckayla still posted on the wall. Her eyes looked hard and cold. I recognized that look all to familiar. It was the same expression she continuously wore when I first reunited with her back at Jace's home.

   I could see the muscles in her neck straining and I stood, stepping over my pack making my way to her.

   "Mckayla..." I mumbled to her. She didn't seem to hear me. Ever since she came back her and Cormic seemed different; more so Mckayla. Her eyes were always shifting back and forth from gold to her natural green. "Mckayla..."

   When I brushed my hand over her arm Mckayla jumped caught off guard and defensive, absently snarling at me.

   "Mckayla..." I said shocked by her reaction. "What happened when you confronted Rogue and her father?" Somethings changed.

   Mckayla didn't answer still looking hard and fix on something internally.

   "Kayla..." I saw Mckayla's eyes dart to Cormic's. "Answer her so I can get some sleep," Cormic huffed restlessly.

   I stared at Mckayla confused. She hadn't answered Cormic because he simply called out to her but because of the name he used.

  'Kayla.'

   Mckayla finally acknowledged me, with the narrowing of her eyes. When she saw the dubious look I gave her, she finally softened her expression.

   "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." She looked a bit confused.

   "To ignore and snarl at me," I finished for her.

   She seemed to not notice her reactions towards me.

   "You going to answer my question?" I whispered a second time.

   Mckayla frowned as if not sure of what the question was. Did her mind blank out?

   "Never mind? Let's just sleep." I was about to head back next to Kaylee when I noticed Mckayla still in the same place. "Mckayla...are you coming?"

   She looked down at all the sleeping Weres and then to me. There was hesitation in her eyes. Despite what I saw in her expression she made her way next to me, laying on the floor first. I moved down, laying on top of her as I adjusted myself into a comfortable position. Absently I noticed Mckayla's heart racing faster than normal. Something was off. I wouldn't press tonight. Mckayla pulled Kaylee into us, letting her daughter sleep on one of her free arms. Slowly I closed my eyes as I felt Mckayla's heart slow just enough to let me know she was relaxing. I moved my hand up, playing with the small curls at the end of her hair. She hadn't cut it in months.
   Once I knew Mckayla was sleep my eyes closed within minutes.

~

   I stirred in my sleep as I found; not for the first time, the hard surface of the floor pressed against my body. Mckayla was gone.

   I wiped my eyes as everyone was still sleep.

   I walked out of the house, through the partly broken door as I noticed Mckayla pacing and mumbling something.