Chapter 25~Distress

"That was so fun," Kaylee shouted ecstatic with so much energy to feed a toddler. "Can we do that again soon...please mom?"

I smiled slowing down to Laurie's pace. "Sure Kaylee," I answered. I turned to Laurie, her smile appearing underneath her poker face sadness. "You don't have to hide that smile. You enjoyed yourself...did you?"

Laurie nodded. "It was really fun." I watched her chuckle lightly and I smiled. This was the first time I saw her smile with warmth in her eyes and I would continue to work on keeping that up. I would never make light of her family being killed; I just wanted her to know she could still find happiness and live in it. "I love camping."

I brushed my hand over her shoulder and felt her shudder slowly building comfort through my touch. "You will love the wolf I already see in you."

"You think so?"

"Duh Laurie. Your cool...so your wolf will be cool too." Kaylee jogged back to us. "Plus you taught me how to make a fire. I never knew how to do that."

Laurie slowly began to interact with Kaylee and I was happy with the progression of just two days ago when we first left.

We were finally back at the house Sal held me captive. The scent of Sal's blood still tingled the air as we walked up the steps of the porch. The dark sky was enough to have my eyes glow a shine of gold and sapphire within my pupils. I listened to the sounds at a distance sure I heard footsteps at a far. I sniffed the air, with no wind assisting me in catching anything.

Laurie stopped only short of the door. "Everything okay?"

I nodded. "Go inside."

I turned facing the dark and squinted my eyes trying to listen in further. Nothing. Maybe I was being overdramatic. The events of chaos since coming back to this pack had put me on high alert and I was feeling even more guarded then I was as a rogue.

"Where the feck have ye been?" Rosalie came out of the house in a hooray of vexation. "My great grammy has been fuming over ye for the last two days."

Frowning, I ignored her hollering attitude.

"Think ah like to be foostering around alone with wolves for two days."

My expression skewed wondering her meaning. "Where did she go?"

"She was watching over ye silly arse."

I snarled turning back around to the dark sky and distant ambiance near by. After a few seconds Elena appeared. "You've been following me."

"You left without permission," she responded just as sternly.

I snarled, exposing my teeth. "I do not take orders or follow anyone but my own fucking path."

Elena huffed. "You and I both know it is important to follow and then lead once you know where you're leading off to."

"And I have been leading my life for several years...and now this pack," I snarled even louder announcing to the pack I was definitely back.

"But you've never," Elena took notice to the Weres coming out and lowered her voice and her temper to a softer tone. "You have never led as the hybrid you are now." I bit my own lip as Elena softened her eyes to me, less angry and hostile. "Yes...you had control and I watched as you fed from the animals you hunted. But..." she stepped closer to me, lowering her voice even further..."but you had to feed twice as much and there is more to being a vampire then feeding. How about when you can't get to any source of food but...your pack." Her last few words were whispered a hollow sound that only I could hear. That was only due to my extra upgrade of hearing. Elena voice still was low but not too private. "You hadn't known I was watching you the entire time."