Chapter 12~Shifting Moods

Nina
~

  "Why is she here again?" I was trying to be understanding and open to not snarling at Rogue every few minutes but her continuous smirk pissed me off. Mckayla got away with a lot of choices with me but this was one I had no intention in ignoring.
   Walking outside my room to smell Rogue inside our packs territory was aggravating and plain simple--stupid. What was Mckayla thinking?

   Mckayla sighed, running her hands through her short dark hair, she'd cut an hour ago. Shorter hair made her cheekbones stand out more defined. With longer hair, Mckayla could pass for an innocent, sweet wolf; that fact, she wasn't trying to present to anyone. Mckayla pulled her hair out of her rubber band as she revamped her ponytail and I noticed her shirt slightly pulling up, exposing her bare toned abdomen. I thought of the last time we made love and my mouth watered with reborn desire.

   After Mckayla finally told me she loved me, we'd left the room, heading through the side door, making love all through the night.

   I turned my eyes to Rogue, catching her eyes on the same spot I was just looking at and snarled.

   Rogue rolled her eyes taking a seat on the couch, I'm sure unruffled nor worried about me coming over and snatching her off. That reminded me of Cormic. The moment he stepped into our territory, he made himself comfortable way too fast.

   Mckayla's friends and ex's were just rolling in one by one. It wasn't that I didn't like any of Mckayla's friends. I loved Jace and Cormic grew on me, surprisingly fast. Even Marie; now that she was backing off, I started to like her. It was just, every time I saw another one of Mckayla's friends, it reminded me of the years I lost with her. My fault, of course so I did my best to keep my insecurities to myself.

   "Rogue...play nice," Cormic stated brotherly.

   Rogue rolled her eyes again as my frown increased. "I haven't done anything."

   Mckayla had moved a distance from us, staring out through the window every couple of minutes as if waiting for danger to arrive.

   "My father won't come now." Rogue looked to me and then to Mckayla. "I've had years of knowing how he works."

   I walked over to Mckayla, brushing my hand over her back. Her anxiety was making my wolf squirm and I'm sure our pack felt the same way. "What are you thinking about?"

   Mckayla's expression was hard, creased in tight lines around her eyes. The muscles in her neck seemed to strain as she held one hand over the curtain to look through.

   We barely fixed the window and I hoped the next time trouble came, it made a better announcement to move the fight away from the house. Mckayla spoke softly. "Everyone here has a right to know."

   Mckayla didn't look at anyone but somehow we all knew she was talking to.

   Rogue shuddered a breath as she straighten slightly. Simultaneously Jace, Marie, and Bran walked into the living room as if they could feel this conversation coming.

   "Let's all step outside." I saw the look in our packs eyes and I didn't want to worry them until I knew everything and a plan.

   Rachel, Sara, and Cullen followed out as well, as we all huddled a few dozen feet from the house.

   Rogue kept her own distance and I knew she felt uncomfortable. She was an outsider and still an enemy until proven otherwise.

   "What's going on? What should we know?" Bran asked, not giving a moment of rest.

   Rogue didn't speak and agitation was the next thing on my list to express.

   "Rogue...I and your brother know you. They don't. Its wise to be honest if you want them to look at you as a friend and not our enemy." Mckayla eyes wavered at Rogue, pleading her to answer.