29. Forgotten day

Lucy's POV

"Daddy!" I yell as I jump into his arms.
"There's my princess. " he laughs holding me tight. Luke and Jake both turn around in shock.
"Dad?!" She both say in disbelief.
"One and only." He laughs still holding me. I'm so glad I hadn't sent my next letter yet.
"Oh how I've missed you." He whispers in my ear.

I take his hand and walk him to the kitchen where there's more room. Luke and Jake follow.
"So what are you doing here?" Jake asks.
"Can't a guy just come cause he misses his kids." He says.
"Sure." Luke says still sounding a little baffled. I look at the clock and sigh.
"Aww I have to go to school." I say sadly.
"You go have a wonderful day at school with your friends then and then when you come back you and I'll will do something extra special." My dad says with a smile.
"That sound great." I say happily as I hug him goodbye before I walk to school.

Luke's POV.

"So where are all the banners and the cake?" Our dad asks as soon as the front door closes.
"We don't have any banners. We didn't know you were even coming." Jake's says nervously.
"Not for me. And why wouldn't I come it's an important day." He says excitedly.
"Why what dad is it?" I asks casually. I watch his face drop and me and Jake both suddenly become nervous.
"It's ur sisters 16th birthday!" He raises his voice but he's not yelling.
"What no it's not," Jake dismisses as he pulls out his phone to check the date, "OH GOOD GRIEF IT IS!!" He yells and my eyes widen. Suddenly the door goes.
"Is the birthday girl at school yet?" How does Stacy know?!

Stacy joins us in the kitchen and stands next to me.
"Are you Lucy's dad?" She asks in her friendly voice.
"Yes I am and I'm guessing your Stacy?" Our dad smiles.
"Yes I am. Let me guess Lucy mentioned me?" She says happily.
"Yes. My daughter seems very fond of you. Your like a big sister to her and I'm grateful. I heard you've helped her a lot recently." He says.
"You helped Lucy? With what?" Jake asks.
"Well you two were to busy to notice but she's been feeling a lot of pain recently. She wrote to her dad because you two weren't here and unlike both of you he actually responded."she says.
"How would we know even if we were home she's always in her room studying." I say though I hear it when I say it.
"She's in her room cause no one takes her out. She has nothing to do. She misses you two." Our dad says.
"She even hid her letters from your dad. There under her pillow, when she feels alone she reads them. Reminds her at least one of the men in her life care." The last bit come out bitter from Stacy and I don't blame her.
"Now it's an important birthday and you two have forgotten. I'm not gonna lie boys. I'm disappointed in you two." He says. "I'm gonna go back to my hotel before Lucy comes back." He says before saying goodbye and leaving.

"GRAB YOUR COAT J!" I yell marching off towards the door.
"Why?" He asks but doing as I say.
"Cause we have to go save our sisters birthday." I say. He nods in agreement and we both rush out the door and to my car.

Lucy's POV

I didn't go to school. I know I should of but my head wasn't in the right place. It was my birthday and neither of my brothers had remembered. Guess they may as well of just forgotten me. Maybe that's why we never spoke when they left. Not because they didn't want to or because mum stopped them. Maybe they just never remembered or really were too busy. I went to this spot at the back of the school where this big lake is. There's this small wooden pier surrounded by overgrown bushes and trees where I sit. I'm so lost in my thoughts I never heard the footsteps.

"Hey Lucy." I look up to see Alex.
"Hey Alex." I sigh hugging my knees tighter.
"Mind if I join you?" He asks.
"Go ahead." I mumble.
"I got you something. June told me it was your birthday today." I turn and look at him.
"You didn't have to." I say nervously.
"I know but I wanted to. Here." He pulls out a box and hands it to me. I'm hesitant to open it but when I do I'm in shock. It's a necklace with a basketball charm with and L ingraved into it. On the back it says 'someone loves you xx'.
"Alex it's beautiful." I say kindly.
"I got you the basketball cause it was the first time I realised how amazing you are and it's blue because you told me that was your favourite colour. And then I got you this card." The last bit comes out quite nervous which is unlike him. He hands me the card and I read it.

To Lucy.
I think your amazing. The way you help your friends and how you win every game with such confidence. You've always been so kind and normal to me and I really like you. When we were studying for our project it was the highlight of my day, even if both your brothers were watching. I guess what I'm saying/ writing is..... will you go out with me?

Love Alex.

I'm almost in tears reading it. I look up and instantly smile.
"Yes." I say his face lights up and we both hug.

Alex put the necklace on me and we sat there the rest of the school day and a little bit after just talking. Then Alex walked me home. I wasn't expecting anything much so I invited Alex in. Not like anyone was gonna notice.

Thought I had no idea what happened next was going to happen.