16. Wait Girlfriend?!

Lucy's POV
"Well shes a little bundle of joy." Luke yells as we walk into his house.
"He has a girlfriend?" I mumble to myself.
"The nerve of that girl, calling me stupid!" He complains.
"He actually has a girlfriend?" I mutter again.
"And what does he do? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!" We both fall back onto the sofa and sigh completely in unison.
"Now what?" I sigh.
"I don't know." I look at Luke in concern. He sounds so lost. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it. He looked at my hand and then me and gave me a tired smile.
"Go to Bed Luke, you look exhausted." He sighs and holds his head in his hands.
"I'm sorry Lu, I should be helping you and yet... I keep mucking everything up."
"Luke you need to stop blaming yourself and instead start taking care of yourself. I can't see both of my brothers at the worst." I know it's a childish move but its the only way to get Luke to see he will be helping me by taking care of himself. He sighs then looks at me. He wraps his arm around me and pulls me closer.
"How'd you get to be so smart and cunning." I laugh and he smiles at me. Then finally we're both dragged down from our exhaustion and we both go and walk off to bed. I forgot I'd left my clothes at Jakes but I didn't want to go get them. Luke offered to get them for mr but I told him not to bother and focus on himself. He then walked into my room and handed me a clean shirt of his and I thanked him and hugged him goodnight.

I actually preferred wearing the shirt as it made me feel safe. There was just something about Lukes scent that had always been a comfort ever since I was little. Though I still struggled to fall asleep. Throughout the night I could hear Luke tirelessly moving around. He was clearly trying his best to be quite and had I been asleep I probably never would have heard him in the first place. But eventually I did finally fall asleep, though as for Luke... I have no idea if he got any sleep at all.

I woke up to the sound of shouting, one was Lukes voice and the other was one I didn't recognise. It was 1pm so it wasn't too early. I quickly rushed to the top of the staircase and watched safely out of sight as Luke continued to fight with this man I'd never seen before.
"It should have been you! That was your stunt Luke and you disobeyed me!" The man practically spat.
"I didn't disobey you I-" I can see Lukes trying his best to stay calm but this guy really isn't making it easy on him.
"I knew it was a mistake to hire you. You only got this job because we needed your brother. But you... your nothing but pathetic! You should be ashamed..."
"SHUT UP!" And he snaps. He grabs the man by his shirt and pushes him up against the wall. I stand up where I am and calmly call his name and he looks at me sadly. Instantly he lets go and walks away from the man.
"Wimp." The man scoffs. He's drunk, I can tell by the way he's swaying and cant keep his balance.
"Leave him alone." I yell at the man. He looks at me and laughs.
"Lu don't." I can hear the fear in Lukes plea and I feel awful as I see the man smile at Lukes terror.

Suddenly the man starts to walk towards the stairs and I watch as Luke looks from the man to me and runs to the stars before the man and stops him from getting closer to me.
"Don't you dare even think about hurting her." His voice is low and serious.
"Its not me you need to worry about, your the one who lands your siblings in the hospital." He spits and I see Lukes pain. He's got in his head. The man laugh out a small chuckle before going to walk away. Then he stops and turns around. He forms a fist and I gasp as he punches Luke right in the stomach. He whines before he falls down to his knees. I rush down to him and he protectively wraps his arm around me.
"Get out of my house." Luke says in an authoritative tone. The man hesitates before he finally turns and leaves.

I turn back to Luke and panic.
"Luke?" I say trying my best to hide my tears.
"I'm fine Lulu." He says but I don't believe him. I slowly lift his shirt and he surprisingly doesn't resist. I gasp in horror at the bruises on my brothers stomach.
"Does Jake know?" I ask lowering his shirt. She shakes his head sadly. "Mum?" He shakes his head again. I just hug him. "How long?"
"Maybe 2 weeks." I sigh before getting up and walking away. I go to the kitchen and get out an ice pack I saw he kept in the fridge one day after he dropped something heavy i his foot when I'd spent my moth with him. I then walked back over to him and helped him up and over to the couch before I handed him the ice pack.
"Thanks." He smiled weakly at me  and I smiled back.
"I'm gonna go visit Jake if thats all right, and whilst I'm gone your gonna sit there and rest. Do I make myself clear mister." I joked, doing my best Mum impression to cheer him up and it worked.
"Yes dear." He jokes back. I then said goodbye to him and grab the clothes I was wearing yesterday before going over to Jakes and asking Erika for a lift.

Erika drops me off at the entrance and tells me to call her when I want her to pick me up and I thank her.

As I get closer to Jakes room I can feel myself slowly starting to get more and more nervous. I really don't want to run into his 'girlfriend' again after yesterday. As I walk in to Jakes room I sigh in relief by the fact his girlfriend isn't in the room with him. I close the door behind me and sit down by Jakes side. He looks at me and raises an eyebrow.
"Where Luke, didn't he drive you here?" I don't want to worry Jake or rat on Luke, so I quickly come up with a lie that sounds partly believable.
"No Erika dropped me off because Luke was busy." That's technically true right?
"Busy with what?" He asks.
"Work... stuff?" So not believable.
"Typical." Jake huffs. Wait did he actually believe me? Oh no please don't say Ive got Luke into trouble with Jake now.
"What is?" I ask curiously hoping it's not about Luke.
"He's always busy whenever someone needs him." Jake huffs.
"Its not his fault though J.... you don't blame him for the stunt do you?" I ask nervously. He looks at me with a look of concern on his face.
"Not fully, no. Is that why he's not here? Because he feels guilty?" I can hear the confusion, anger and slight sadness in Jakes voice and I feel bad.
"No heres not here because..." don't tell him Lucy.
"Lucy?"
"Because he's busy." I blurt out nervously.
"Lu please just tell me the truth." He's starting to get frustrated, but I cant say oh its nothing its just Luke got into this massive fight with some guy I don't know. I mean how is that meant to are things better.
"So hows your girlfriend?" His face goes blank.
"So you... you know about that?" I fidget nervously.
"Yeah..."
"And how do you feel about it?" I shrug.
"Its not my place to say."
"Come on Lu..." And then as if on cue she walks in.

"Awwww look at you." She says in a strange voice. As soon as Jake turns to look at her I make a fake throwing up gesture. I then just sit there watching those two make me feel more and more uncomfortable till I finally text Erika and get her to pick me up. I don't bother saying goodbye to Jake as he's too wrapped up with his new 'girlfriend' so I just leave. I don't think he's really noticed I've gone till I'm back at Lukes.

As I say thanks to Erika and start walking up Lukes driveway I get a text.

Jake
Hey where'd you go?

Lucy
Sorry had to leave something came up

Jake
Alright then

I sigh before I walk through the door. As soon as I walk inside I see Luke curled up in a ball where I left him asleep. Its pretty late and I still have some homework I need to do so I just go up to my room and sit at my desk.

It's midnight by the time I'm done and I haven't heard Luke come up so I just assumed he was still asleep downstairs, not that I blame him though. I change into his shirt he gave me and go to bed. I fall asleep much easier tonight.

In the morning I woke up and noticed one of my duffle bags in the corner with a note.

Thx for yesterday sis
Woke up early so went over to Jakes
And got you just a couple of clothes
Didn't know how long you wanted to
Stay

Love Luke

P.s not going to set to day, or anytime soon
So get dressed theres pancakes down stairs.

I smile and laugh at Lukes note before I quickly throw on some random outfit and run downstairs to Luke who's making pancakes. I laugh and sit down in front of him and watch.
"For the young lady." He says in a posh accent which makes me laugh. I thank him and he hands me all of my favourite toppings.
We sit there and eat our pancakes but neither of us bring up what happened yesterday and I'm kinda relieved.

Its nice to finally be back with Luke. I just hope he's okay. And that Jakes home soon.