Chapter 33: Callioneil - Airport

I bounce in my seat, watching the signs above the road. More and more of them are directing us to the airport now. My grandmother touches my shoulder.

"Calli, relax."

I try to stay still, but I'm too full of nervous energy. My leg starts bouncing up and down. My grandmother laughs.

"What is making you so nervous, Calli?"

I shrug. "I'm just really, really excited, Babushka."

She nods, pointing her chin up. "We're almost there, with plenty of time to spare."

I pause, then burst into giggles. "Did you mean for that to rhyme?"

She just shakes her head. I look out the window again, searching for the signs. They are providing directions to different terminals now. International flights are to the left. I start bouncing in my seat again. Our car stops at the curb and my dad turns around in his seat to face us.

"Are you two ready?"

I beam. "I'm as ready as I'll ever be, Papa. I'm so excited I might explode."

His eyes gleam, possibly with yet unshed tears. "I can see that. Are you ready, Babushka?"

My grandmother nods. "Of course, Nikolas." She pauses. "If only Anya could see this."

My dad nods. "Matushka would have loved seeing you return. But she's still here with us, even if we can't see her."

My grandmother smiles and hugs him, a tear slipping out the corner of her eye. "Thank you, Nikolas."

When my grandmother releases my dad, he steps forward to hug me. His hold is tight and comforting. "You be careful there, won't you Calli? You don't know Russia like your pra-babushka does, and it's changed since she was there."

I nod. "Yes, Papa. I'll stay with the rest of the group."

"Good. Ya tebya lyublyu."

"I love you too, Papa."

He steps back, a few tears slipping down his face. He pops open the trunk of the car and helps us retrieve our bags. Mine is a lovely bottle-green color and my grandmother's is a teal shade with floral patterns in a darker shade of teal. We roll them to the door and I turn back to wave at my dad. He returns the wave for a good long moment before he gets back into the car. I turn back to the doors of the airport and take a breath.

The automatic door opens before us and we step through. I look around at the gigantic room, amazed. There is a shout from the escalators and I turn. Someone is waving at us. I start walking in that direction and they run up to meet us. It's Lina, and she is beaming in excitement. She hugs me tightly and steps back just as quickly, jumping up and down on the balls of her feet.

"Are you ready, Calli?"

I laugh. "Do you think I could be anything but ready?"

She grins. "You were almost too late! We have to check in soon. In five minutes, actually."

"Well, we're not late. Is everyone here?"

She shakes her head. "Justin, Sam, and Alya aren't here yet."

I nod and roll my bag up to the couches, sitting one one of the multicolored cushions to wait.
________________________________________________________________________________
They're getting closer! What do you think will happen? Will their classmates get there in time? Tell me your thoughts!

Oh and fun tidbit: over the past week, I found out that one of my ancestors was from Russia. My great-great grandmother. Isn't that cool!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.