Chapter 19: Kaienan - Worrisome Truth

"Sibuna!"

Sibuna raises his head to look at me, his tawny eyes sharp and clear despite his graying appearance. His eyebrow is raised and he is holding a little speck of light in his hands, glowing faintly.

"One moment, Kaienan."

I nod and step back, letting him finish his work. The soul in his hand flickers merrily and he smiles at it, bending down to whisper. It glows brighter and brighter until it is almost too bright to look at and I have to turn my head away. The glow fades a moment later and I look towards Sibuna once more. The soul is gone from his hands, but I catch a fleeting glimpse of it sleeping through the floor to the Earth below. Sibuna snaps his fingers to catch my attention.

"What do you need, Kai. I'm busy."

I have to restrain my grin. Sibuna may pretend to be indifferent, but his eyes are sparkling with curiosity and amusement.

"Do you remember that you allowed me to save one soul from its human death?"

He nods. "Yes, but why are you asking me about this?"

I sigh. "Is Anu capable of stealing that soul back once I've saved it?"

Sibuna's brow furrows in confusion. "I don't see why my brother, cruel as he is, would-" His face clears. "You saved your bonded, didn't you?"

He doesn't need me to say it, he knows by my smile alone, but I answer anyways. "Yes, I did."

He beams. "Congratulations, Kai." His face sobers a moment later. "So my brother wants her soul back?"

"Yes. Can he do it? Can he steal her back."

Sibuna takes one look at my face, tense with worry and fear, and sighs. He has to tell me, but he doesn't want to. "He can't rip her soul out of her body. But if she dies before she gains immortal status, if he kills her . . . her soul is still mortal and he can touch it. So I would change her as quickly as possible, before he gets that chance."

I gulp. "I won't change her until she knows everything and accepts it. It has to be her choice."

"Then I would get Siera's help. She should make protection for your bonded."

I open my mouth to thank him for his advice, but I am hit by a pang of strong emotion. Fear. For a moment I am confused, before I remember that I can feel Calli's emotions too. What's happening to her?! I raise my panic-filled eyes to Sibuna's.

"Something's wrong."

"Go, Kaienan. I'll talk to Siera for you."

I give him a sharp nod and fade into nothing, transporting myself to Calli. I materialize into the pavement just outside the door to her grandmother's house. The door is wide open and I frown. Why is it open?Then I look again. The door isn't open, it's shattered. There is a man in dark red lying on the floor, blood pooling around him. My eyes widen, filled with panic. What happened? Calli is crouches against the back wall of the house, trembling, her eyes wide with fear. I am hit by the urge to spirit her away from her, to a place where she'll always be safe, but I push it away. That's not fair to her or her family. I step forward towards Calli, determined to comfort her and erase the fear from her face. Her grandmother hears my steps and whirls, her hand darting to the floor beside her, where a gun is sitting. I hold my hands up.