Chapter 22: Kaienan - Battle

They haven't seen us yet, but it won't take long. The man starting up the sidewalk is middle aged, his black hair speckled with gray and his chin covered in stubble. He steps up to the entryway of the house and his eyes sweep the room. They finally land on us in our positions by the window and he takes a step in. His eyes are piercing as he looks at us, his gaze sweeping past me to narrow in on Annika. His mouth stretched into a dark smile.

He speaks in Russian to her, as if baiting her. I'm quite glad that I know every language. "You've hidden for a long time, but you've lost, Anastasia."

I respond to that before she can. There might be a chance that we can get them to leave without a fight. "Her name isn't Anastasia."

His eyebrow raises and his smile deepens. "Oh? What is it then? Anna, Anya, what?"

I give her a quick glance, faster than the man can see, and she nods, giving me permission to say it. "Her name is Annika."

He laughs. "That's not good enough to deter me!" He turns his attention back to her. "I wasn't expecting you to still be alive, Annika. You're what, a hundred and seventeen years old?"

Her chin dips and she speaks at last, her words clipped in anger. "Yes."

"Who's this one helping you? Your grandson? You know we'll have to kill him too."

I scoff at the thought of them being able to kill me. I'm an immortal! You can't harm me. Anikka shakes her head at the man.

"No, he's just a friend."

"Interesting choice in a friend. I have the feeling he's not your friend but the friend of someone else in your family. A grandchild, perhaps?"

Annika's face blanches and the man's smile stretch even wider. Annika's reaction told him exactly what he wanted to know. She has family. Annika edges towards the hallway, preparing to guard the way to Calli. She bites a sentence out.

"Why are you talking?"

"Oh, I'm just stalling until the rest of my men get up here."

As if on cue, the rest of the red-clad men step though the door and take one glance at their fallen companion lying on the floor and turn their gazes to us, the promise of a slow death lingering in their eyes. My hand tightens around my sword as Annika's tighten around her gun. There is a stand-off for a moment, just a moment, before the Bolsheviks on the other side of the room begin to fire.

I deflect all the bullets away from myself and Annika with a barrier of air close to our skin. Then I dart forward on the defensive. The first man's head falls with a single swipe of my blade, Shadow-Speaker cutting through the flesh like butter. His head tumbled to the floor, followed by his body, and I move on to the next man. His head tumbled away too, and I continue to weave my way to each man. The last one, the leader from before, snarls at me as I approach and raises his gun towards me in one last futile attempt. But a bullet goes through his head before he can even aim.

He falls and I step back, panting slightly. One glance around the room and then one at Annika tells me one thing.

"We need to clean up before Calli sees this."

Annika's mouth twitches up into a smile despite her exhaustion. "Agreed."
________________________________________________________________________________
I've got to admit, I almost didn't write this chapter. Or publish it today, anyways. I was stuck on what to write, and this weekend is busy as well. (Writing, editing, watching my post-surgery dog, cleaning, an exam) It's a lot of stuff, and I didn't think I would have time. But here it is. What did you think of the battle? Also known as Kaienan's systematic execution of  the enemies to Calli's safety.

Happy reading, and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.