four

It was later that night. Patrice was on her way over for dinner. I didn't mind her. She seems nice, but I don't want to be bothered with having these dinners all of the time. My dad was freaking out. He wanted everything to be 'perfect'. He instructed that I wear something nice. I skimmed through my closet and found a white dress and military green jacket and slipped on black flats. It was casual but cute I guess. I applied a little makeup, and left my hair down. By the time I was done, someone knocked on the door. I assumed it was Patrice.

     "Got it." I yelled as I ran down the stairs. I skipped to the double doors and opened it with a 'smile' on my face.

"Mia! Hi, sweetie. Nice to see you again." She beamed, walking in.

      "And you too Patrice." I closed the door and we both made our way over to the dining room where my dad was setting the table. My dad smiled as she approached him, pecking a kiss on his mouth as I frowned in disgust.

"You ladies can have a seat. I'm going to bring the food out." My dad said, quickly scurrying off into the kitchen. Patrice and I quietly sat down across from each other.

      "So how was your day?" She asked trying to start a conversation.

"It sucked honestly." I bluntly said.

      "Oh, I'm sorry." She said in shock. "Why was it bad?"

"Well my dad made me help clean the ring, then his annoying boxer was obviously being annoying, then I had pick up groceries for this dinner, not your fault, and now I'm here, again not your fault but I understand that Dan wants me to get to know you." I joked toward the end. She looked rather surprised. Before she could respond, my dad came in, placing the bowl of pasta, bread and salad on the table.

      "Who's hungry?" He grinned. All three of us poured our own serving on our plates. We then started eating.

"Um, how was your day?" My dad asked, stuffing a mouth full of pasta in his mouth. Patrice looked at me and grinned, knowing my answer.

      "It was good. How about you? How was your day?" She questioned.

"It was long and tiring."

      "So Patrice, were you divorced too?" My dad dropped his fork and gave me a stern look. Patrice noticed him tensing up, so she put her left hand on his right, telling him it was okay.

"Yes I was."

      "What happened?" I asked.

"Mia." My dad hissed.

      "Dan, she's fine. She's just trying to get to know me. But to answer your question, my ex-husband and I divorced three years ago. It just wasn't working."

"Sorry about that. Do you have kids?"

      "Yes. I've got a six-year-old son named Michael." She smiled.

"Cute." I mumbled.

     "How's school going for you? Your father told me you made honors."

"It's good. I'm almost done. I can't wait to graduate." I said with a mouth full of bread.

      "Oh, don't say that. These are the most fun years of your life." She beamed. I just nodded, totally disagreeing in my head. "So, how's your boyfriend?" She continued with the answers.

"Good."

      "Good, good." She mumbled. There was am awkward silence after a while, but my dad finally spoke up.