eighteen

It's been a week since I "ran away" and yet again, I'm on punishment. My dad took away my car therefore he's been driving me to and from school. I wasn't allowed to go anywhere or do anything outside of school, which was quite annoying. I had to sit in the living room because he didn't want me isolate in my bedroom all day. It was watching cartoons with Michael and listen to him and Patrice discuss things for the wedding. It was bad. I felt alone. I needed Channing but had no way to contact him. But most importantly I needed my dad. I just found out that my mom is dying and that he's simply moving on. I really needed him. We used to be so close but now we fight about any little thing. I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard my name being called repeatedly.

"Mia. Mia." I looked up and saw my teacher and multiple classmates staring at me. "Mia what's the answer?" My English teacher asked.

"Um." I thought. The sound of the bell distracted me from thinking of a stupid answer but saved me from embarrassment.

"You'll answer this tomorrow Ms. Rhodes." My teacher said. I quickly grabbed my books and jetted out of the classroom. I briskly walked down the hallway, trying to get to my locker. I heard my name being called from behind. I quickly turned around and immediately regretted it.

"What?" I snapped.

"Hey, I haven't seen you in a while." Sara said.

"No shit." I barked.

"What's up?" She asked, trying to make conversation.

"Sara, are you serious?" I asked.

"Yeah, why is that so hard to believe? We're friends." I dryly laughed at her answer.

"Friends? I thought you were mad at me so I took the blame for you for drugs! Now my dad doesn't trust me at all. My dad called you and told you that I was missing yet you didn't call me or care. I'd be worried-sick if your parents called and said that they couldn't find you. Whether we were fighting or not, I would go and look for you until I found you because that's what best friends do. And on top of that my dad is getting remarried and my mom has cancer. She's fucking dying and I can't do anything about it, but Sara, my best friend would know that and she would be there for me. I don't know who you are anymore Sara." I was on the verge of crying but tried so hard not to.

"Mia, I had no idea."

"Of course you didn't. Why would you? You were busy getting laid and drunk with your friends, right?" I yelled. I occasionally earned a few stares from people walking by in the hallway but I didn't care.

"I'm sorry, I really am. I honestly never meant to hurt you. I just got caught up with everything else." Oh great, now she's crying. I really did want to accept her apology. "I'm sorry." She apologized again. I really need a friend. I pulled her into a tight hug. She hugged me back. "Oh thank God." She pulled back. "I have so much to tell her." We giggled while wiping her face with her sleeve. I shouldn't be doing this. I should not at all. She's just going to push me aside again but I'm desperate. I need a friend. I can't afford to lose anyone else in my life.

Sara and I have been walking down the hallway for what feels like forever. She caught me up on what's been going on in her life and I told her everything going on in mine, besides Channing. She didn't need to know that. And honestly, I missed this. I missed us laughing together and being completely inseparable and it was nice to be somewhat back.

"Ladies, where are you going?" I looked away from Sara and saw our old math teacher, Mrs. Higgins.

"To the bathroom." I lied.