Art

Layla

The morning slips into the afternoon. I'm pretty sure I'm not the best company to keep as Alfonzo listens to me ramble on and on into quite the rant until I feel at ease. We share a small and quick lunch through the park that consists of more coffee and cheesy pretzels. Anything I guess to help mend the pain and heal the wounds. We're not granted much privacy as fans from all over come up every once in a while for some deserved time. I don't mind at all, appreciating their kindness and devotion over the amount of years. And as we take a seat in our favorite spot in the entire park, I lean back in the wooden bench, witnessing such a sight before me. All the colors are heightened and on full display. Red, orange, yellow are the three most perfectly created individuals that blend so beautifully together in such a partnership. It's art that deserves all the attention.

"You should call him," Alfonzo says after a while, breaking the silence

"I know I should, but I can't."

"Don't be stubborn now."

"You're supposed to be on my side, remember?"

"There are no sides in love."

"Is that the key to a successful marriage between you and Wendy?"

"Of course it is, I just go along with everything she says. She's the queen and the queen is always right."

"You're a sweetheart Alfonzo, you know that? Quite a softy."

"Layla James, shut up before I throw you into that pond over there."

I admire the many views from afar, finding comfort and solace in the freshly crisp air. I try not to think about the way he looked at me, back in the car. He was so upset, so angry. That anger was directed towards me because I overstep. I allowed myself to fall into an unwanted trap, triggering a series of pure chaos that overwhelmed all those around. I know deep down, he's absolutely correct. There's nothing I could have done differently. I should have allowed him to handle and mend the situation because it was after all, his interview. I walked into a fight that wasn't mine to resolve, despite the fact that I will never regret the genuine words that came out of my lips.

As the afternoon continues on, I allow my fingers to reach for my phone that rests in my coat pocket. I unlock it, wishing for nothing more than his presence. I want to apologize, hoping to put such a dreadful morning behind us so we can carry on into a brighter future. I truly don't want to end the night alone, in a fit of stained tears. Yet, as I tempt and taunt myself with further possibilities, I decide to call him, putting an end to this misery. However, I don't have the opportunity because the very moment I hit that single button, I hear the opposing ring of an incoming call. I turn in my seat, witnessing the man that holds my heart approaching me slowly with a small smile. I'm flabbergasted, shaking my head as I stand, finding the strength to decrease the hated distance between us. He feels so near, but so far at the same time.