Magic

Layla

The ocean and I have always had a bittersweet relationship. I remember as a child, the spontaneous summer road trips we would take as a family. My father would decide on a whim the night before to pack our bags and make the journey down to the Florida coast. His smile and energy was so charismatic and contagious. I couldn't sleep the night before, excited to hit the road before the sun would awaken. And the three of us would make the most out of each and every moment, savoring the precious time. I was introduced to the ocean by my father as he held my hand in his own, guiding me along the warm sand, greeting me with fresh and salty waves. I fell in love at an early age, never wanting to forget the way the water would cool and calm my skin in such heat. I felt free and light as a bird, laughing with glee as my father threw me onto his shoulders, holding me safe as we ventured deeper and deeper from the shoreline.

I fell in love with the idea of magic, taking my first steps into the world of Disney, never truly knowing that such a place actually existed on this planet. Back then, my father was my hero as he never stood a chance against all the princes and warriors that were shown. Back then, my father was my whole heart. And sadly, while some would say an opportunity for fame is a make or break, I would say it broke my heart in the process. For I still remember the hurt in his eyes as I told him that I wanted to accept the audition and decline the acceptance into one of the most prestigious boarding schools. I was only sixteen at the time, continuing my studies from home as I balanced work and school, knowing that acting was my one true passion. My father didn't take it too kindly, cutting all ties with me as he informed me that I would no longer be welcome in his household.

And I think ever since I got discovered and became a well known name around the world at a young age, my father knew deep down that he had already lost me. I think he already knew that I had no true plans or intentions to return back to him and carry out a career as a successful physician. After I left Connecticut, I stayed with Grace in New York City up until the age of nineteen when I decided to buy my own place and earn some independence. Surely, my decisions in the past stirred up quite the differences between my mother and father as it ultimately led to their divorce. But unlike Harry, I never acquired their full support in my current fame and success. My mother keeps in touch more, but not enough for my heart to be fully satisfied. And while my father checks in a handful of times throughout the year, I will always remember the summer days we would spend along the Atlantic, me on his shoulders, both sharing a marvelous laugh that filled the breeze.

I sit along the sand now, gathering my knees close to my chest as I keep my arms wrapped around them tightly. I barely slept a wink last night after prior events, tossing and turning before deciding to watch the sunrise in all its glory. It provides a sense of comfort, the wind blowing through my hair lightly as the waves come to life. I try to suppress the many thoughts roaming around my head, knowing that per usual I'm only overthinking the situation. Suddenly, I hear the presence of another as Harry walks on over, taking a seat next to me, silent for quite some time as we both don't engage in conversation just yet.

I fear he may be upset with me; that he heard what Roland said and believed him. I fear I may lose his trust and will no longer be so heavily adored in his eyes. He breaks the ice first, speaking softly as he too witnesses the sun come through from the large fluffy clouds roaming carelessly amongst the sky. "This is one of my favorite places...sitting here by the ocean...watching the day come to life. It's magical," he says.

"It's rare to find magic in the world we live in today."

"That's why, we have to create our own magic. Find the joy and happiness we crave in others."

"And you believe in that? Magic and serendipity?"

His bright and precious eyes meet my own for the first time today. "Of course I do. That sort of belief brought me to you. You're a magical sunrise to me Layla. You brought warmth into my life when all I saw was darkness and clouds."