Hope

Layla

~Five months later~

The music makes it seem like the floor is truly shaking

The music makes it seem like the floor is truly shaking. The lights are colorful and dim, exuding a pink and purple shade throughout the grand room. The event is an absolute success as people have come from all around to celebrate and try the launch of a highly promoted new bottle of scotch. I for one am not usually an attendee of such events, yet Grace informed me it was appropriate and deemed necessary to show my face outside of work and the apartment. Why else would America's sweetheart remain cooped up in her uptown apartment?

I make small conversation here and there, holding a glass in my hand to kill the time. I talk about highly sought fashion with the super models and new recipes with up and rising chefs. But mostly, I keep to myself, far too much of an introvert to gather around the dance floor with the others. I look down at my watch, cursing as it's only half past ten. Perhaps another hour will do before I can make my grand escape. Some more mindless chatter will surely buy me some time.

"Bored, already?" Mia asks me with an amused smile, approaching me with nearly a half finished drink. She's been my closest friend for years now ever since we crossed paths on set of a rising film. She's bold, honest, and loyal—qualities difficult to find in comrades now a days, especially in the Hollywood industry.

 She's bold, honest, and loyal—qualities difficult to find in comrades now a days, especially in the Hollywood industry

"You know me far too well," I reply.

"You should put yourself out there tonight. Perhaps find someone to take you home. Could be good for you."

"No, thank you."

"Why not? You're young, stunning, and successful. Live a little outside your books. Hell, I'm surprised you even stepped out of your apartment for the night. It's always work with you Layla."

"I'm perfectly happy Mia. You know I'm not that fond of socializing with others in Hollywood."

"You could be a little happier waking up next to someone."

She continues to scold and encourage me as my eyes wander around the extravagant room. So many famous and well known names are among us tonight. So many are out and about, living life as they should be. This is the city that never sleeps, so why should we sleep on endless amounts of opportunities? Unfortunately, it's then in which I see a familiar face. It's then where the person behind all my current nightmares and mascara driven tears stands. For he looks just as remembered; flawless, charming, kind, and tall. He's dressed as stylish as ever in a colorful suit, buttoned half way to reveal his art filled chest. His curls are messy as he wears a carefree smile while making conversation from across the room with an extremely interested supermodel. She gorgeous, dripping with undeniable confidence as she rubs her fingertips delicately across his shoulder. That should be me over there, tracing his skin, whispering hushed and private words into his ear. That should be me, taking good care of his heart.