Chapter 4 - Happy Birthday

Ashwin's POV:

Confused, I waited for him to continue.

"I know you will have several questions regarding the case but I can't tell you more now as it is highly confidential. And it seems like the chances of winning is also very less. Since the time I took this up, we are being cornered by many. I even had life threats. But I hid everything from all of you.

But some fraudster used this situation. Three days back when I was out of town for collecting evidences, they created some fake photos and visuals of me being abducted and forced your mom to give up our house in exchange of my life. As she could neither contact me nor you nor the police, with no other option she signed those papers.

The next day when I returned we were evicted from our house. I couldn't lodge a complaint as the house was registered under Shini's name. Also I cannot give any loopholes to people who are already plotting against us.
So we silently shifted to here. This house should be safe for us. I brought it under the name of the orphanage where I and your mother grew up.

Your mother doesn't know a thing about the case I'm dealing with. You know how she is. And till I get the evidence I'm searching for, I cannot reveal our identities. The reason I'm telling you all this is that, it is not safe for Kani to be with us as...."

He was continuing but I cut him off in the middle. Our home was no more ours and the revelations were too much for me to take. Yet I stood all this but when it is regarding the safety of my family an unknown fear crept inside my stomach.

"If it involves risking our family why would you take this up in the first place Dad? What is more important to you than us? And if Kani is not safe here the what about you and Mom? Do you expect me to leave you all here even after knowing that you are in trouble? What kind of a son do you take me for and sorry for asking this but what kind of a father are you?" I was fuming and the words slipped out of my mouth before I could understand what I blurted out.

Shiva's POV:

I was stilled by his words. I felt ashamed of myself. I felt weak. But I never thought my that my son who understands me just by looks even without any words exchanged, is asking me what kind of a father I am.

But all my pain was replaced with valor when I thought about the necessity and importance of this case. I turned away from him and continued, "Son, sorry if I have disappointed you as a father, but before being your father I'm a citizen of my nation. The safety and prosperity of thousands of people stood huge in front of my own family for me. And that is what my profession had also taught me. I might be ashamed of myself to have failed as a father but I'm proud as a dedicated citizen. I haven't yet failed my Country and I will do whatever it takes to keep it that way. Even if it costs me my life." I paused to swallow the lump formed in my throat before continuing.

"But I have emotions too. I love my family just like you expect me to, Ashwin. And I can't risk your lives too. I know I'm weak against them and I can't stand a chance to put my children through all this trouble.

Now you will take Kani with you when you return. That is tomorrow night. I have made arrangements for her schooling there near your college. Do this as a last favour for your failed fa..." I couldn't get to complete my words as Ashwin hugged me from my back and cried.

"I'm sorry Dad. I was overwhelmed when you said that our family might be in danger. You people are my world. I'm sorry. You are not a failed father. You are our superhero. Our inspiration. I didn't mean to hurt you." Ashwin spoke in a cracked voice.
"And what is with all this last favour? Never ever speak like that again, Dad. Never." His voice trembled and his hands around me shook as he spoke.