Chapter 5 - Unfairly Shattered - Part I

The same day: Around 8 pm

After the tiring day, Ashwin put his little sister to sleep and silently crept out of the bedroom to have some serious discussions with his dad. During dinner, he noticed how his dad's expressions had changed into deep fear and remorse, and how abruptly he ended the call he had been in, when Ashwin approached him.

Shini also didn't fail to notice the trauma in her husband's face, the profuse sweating in the chilly climate and his one word answers with which he tried to eschew all her demanding questions.

The mother and son shared a look while they waited with unabated anxiety for the one person who had rushed out of the house while answering another call.

Soon Shiva came running into the house as he hurriedly closed and locked all doors, unheeding to the alarmed voices that kept throwing questions at him as he closed all windows, drew the curtains and pushed hard at a rod at the wall which opened a door to the cellar, which until then, seemed like the floor. 

Ignoring the shocking gasps of his wife and son he rushed into the cellar and opened another gate which led to an underpass that connected to the main road away from the slums.

He rushed back into the hall, a crumpled letter in his hand, panting hard, pulling his confused and fear filled wife and son into a wild hug.

Sorry... Sorry... Sorry.. Sor..Sorryy...

His voice trembled and his whole body shook. His only belief turned to be dead. His friend, his well-wisher, his buddy, his brother, Soundhar was no more. He was dead. He was killed. Along with him, the hope left on him was also killed.

But he had been here at his house, a few minutes before his death. And he had left the evidence somewhere here in his house. That much he knew of his friend.

The evidence!

He jerked them away from his hold and started to rummage through the shelves, pushed all chairs, the table, the TV, the window panes, the wash basin pipes, anywhere he thought.

He stopped, holding his head, trying to think hard where it could be.

He pushed away the hand that kept coming to his shoulder and arm until he was harshly turned around and slapped across his face.

He was stilled for a moment until her soft fingers brushed the tears that streamed down his cheeks. “Enna achu Shiva?” (“ What happened Shiva?”) she whispered as her own eyes brimmed with unshed tears.

Shiva fell on his knees and broke into tears, “They killed Soundhar”. As the words tumbled out of his mouth Shini's eyes widened when reality accosted her. Her hysterical cries echoed through the hall. “Soundhar anna!? But why? When? Who? How?? Whyyy?!”

Ashwin collected his mother in his arms, who was shedding tears for someone named Soundhar whom he didn't know, as he tried to calm her gently rubbing her arms.

“It was Durmugan. And now he is coming in search of us. Me. I don't have time to explain Shini. It is regarding a case. That's all I can tell you now. What is important is that you and our children must not be here. This cellar leads to the main road. Ashwin, take your mother and sister and leave immediately. I have to find an important evidence. I'll follow you once I get hold of it. Now hurry up!”

“We can't just leave you like that and go Shiva! Either you come with us now or we are staying here. Ashwin, you take Kani and leave. I'm staying.” Shini's voice was confident, stern and commanding. She had got the point. Something big was happening around her. She was afraid, worried and tensed as hell. But she also understood the urgency in her husband's voice. She knew one thing. There was danger somewhere around them, very close by. And that they had little or no time to waste.

I've got no time to argue with you now. Ashwin! What are you looking at? Didn't I tell you yesterday that you will be leaving this night? Have you packed your bags? Did you give Kani the milk I gave you?" Shiva roared.

On receiving a confused nod from Ashwin he continued, “Fine then she will not wake up for atleast 2 - 3 hours from now. Through this subway you will reach the main road. Get on to the first bus to Chennai you find there. Once you reach there, my friend Mahendran will be there to pick you up. Now. Leave!” saying so he pushed Ashwin by his shoulders into the room.

Then something caught his eyesight. The gift box lay there carelessly. He then remembered the pendrive that had fallen from it and collected the box to check on it. There, he found the letter 'B' written on the gift card and in a moment, everything seemed clear to him.

He reached for the pendrive in his pocket and rushed into the bedroom where his daughter slept peacefully, unawares of the situation their family was in. He latched it to her chain and kissed her forehead. Then he gathered Kani in his hands as he ran back to Ashwin, propelling them to leave the house immediately.

“ Let's go Shini. I'm coming with you. We are leaving this instant!” he whispered as he handed Kani to Ashwin and ran to each corner of the house as he punched on some nearly invisible buttons.

As he turned, he saw Shini who was rooted at first step to the cellar, Ashwin at the gate to the subway with Kani secure in his hands, all three faces filled with terror, when the sound of a loud bang fell on their ears.

“ASHWIN RUN!!!No matter what happens don't you ever turn or stop!! RUNNN!!! Shiva screamed running towards Shini and petrified Ashwin obeyed his father's word.

With glassy eyes he pleaded his love to leave as he pushed at her shoulder who refused to move. Another bang made them jerk their heads to the door that was now broken.

Shiva pulled Shini with him and both rolled down the stairs as the door to the cellar started to close. Both tumbled down with a thud. Shini couldn't shake off the image that had last held her sight.

His face, and the wicked smile.

******************************************

Ufff.. hihihi😅
Hello again everybody. I had given my word to Shandy2416 that I would update within this month and here is the next chapter on New Year Eve ❤️.

I had initially planned for a longer chapter but I couldn't cover it up now. It's celebration time so let's not worry about negative things 🙂.

I wish you all an advance Happy New Year ✨💗

💐இனிய புததாண்டு நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள்💐