Chapter 10 - Prison Blossoms

Nirupama's POV:
(The day after Ashwin was put into jail)

It's been a day since that boy was brought here. Yeah, I remember him and how he was looking at me when I got arrested. I laughed at my thoughts, my first impression on him was being arrested.

But he seemed like a person with a normal life that day, not like a criminal of course. Still, who am I to guess? True, I never expected to see him at jail alongside me. He's been in his cell all the time. His silence is so intriguing. Maybe I should try talking to him at lunch.

Why wait till lunch, when I can talk right now.

____________

She went to the wall connecting to his cell, squatting down near a mark on the wall. Slowly she started to pull out a brick. The sharp edge of the stone caused a cut across her fingers and she hissed in pain. "Shoot, I should not have cut my nails yesterday" she mumbled, while blowing onto her hands.

She resumed her assault on the brick trying to get out and in one final pull, she removed it. She tried to peek into the his cell through the hole, but he was nowhere to be seen.

"What are you trying to do?"  A low voice sounded out of nowhere causing her to jerk back from the wall. She fell on her butt on hearing the sudden voice.

Collecting herself, she dusted her dress and hands, and then replied to the voice. "I.. I was trying to look at the new member here. Are you John Cena? Coz I can't see you."

He was leaning onto the wall, just inches away from the hole. His eyes were strained in front of him. Not wanting to talk to anyone, he remained silent.

"What is your name?"

....

"You are from?"

....

"I'm asking you something."

....

"I know you are not dumb. But are you deaf?"

....

"Helllloooo"

....

"Are you the 'invisible man'? At least you can show me your face."

....

"Should I -" before she could say something else, a loud bang landed on the wall to which she was sticking her ear. Shocked, she fell away from the wall again.

"Ouch! Before even showing your face, I think you'll break my butt. Is your hand okay?" She laughed while rubbing her derriere.

"Will you just shut up and mind your own business?!" He roared from the other side.

"Woah woah. Easy there, Mr. Tiger. I was just trying to make a conversation. So, what crime did you do to land here? Bank robbery? Chain snatching? Or drugs?" She asked so casually, while dusting her hands.

Her voice started to irritate him. He just wanted to be alone but she was starting to annoy him. He thought she will only stop if he answered her.

"No".

"Illegal racing? Gambling?"

"No." he dragged the syllable but she seemed to be determined to not leave him in peace.

"Mama vela paathiya?" (Are you a pimp?)
She asked aggravating his anger to the peak.

In the wink of an eye, he turned to the wall, with both his hands on either side of the hole. He came face to face with her as she was peeking but his mind was too clouded to even look at her clearly. His eyes were red like lava and words flew out of his mouth like fire.