Chapter 7 - Lost Cure, New Care

On the same night of Kani's birthday...

Poongundran's POV:

Her eyes spit fire as she looked at me through the rear view mirror of the car from the back seat. I noticed how her hold on our son tightened so much that he winced in pain. The protests of Mithran to move out of her iron grip brought her out of the reverie she was in.

She caressed her womb as a drop of lava escaped her eyes. I can feel the depth of her anger from here. Not able to look into her eyes even through the reflection, I averted my gaze back to the road. If my guilt is killing me, her pain filled eyes are burying me alive.

I can't bear this anymore. I'm sorry Anu. I wanted to shout it out loud. But the words got stuck in my throat. A sorry would never bring us back what we lost. Whatever was the reason, I shouldn't have left her at Mom's place. Not after knowing their hatred towards us. It's all my fault. I miscalculated. She was pregnant. Was.

I thought that they will finally be happy with the news of her being pregnant again. I banged my hand on the steering wheel, angry on myself. That child was the gift of our 8 years of penance. That child was the only cure for the state of my son. I killed all our dreams and broke her trust.

Pressing the accelerator pedal hard, I zoomed through these deserted roads. No streetlights, great! I tried to focus on the road but my mind kept diverting to different times of our lives. How we met, how I courted her, how my mother and sisters hated our relationship. Mother and sisters, I'm ashamed to call them that.

"Ma, where did Kadhambari go? Why is she not talking to me? Will she never come again?" Mithran's voice tore the sheet of silence that surrounded us. Unannounced tears brimmed in my eyes and I turned to look at her gathering all my courage. She ran her fingers through his hair and hugged him to herself, but her eyes were cast outside the window. "S..Sorr" I tried but her one angry glare shut me out and I died once again there.

I turned back only to see the form of a small kid tumbling on the road. My eyes widened and I hit the brakes vigorously but the damage was already done.

"Anu!"

"Mithra!"

Both our voices boomed in unison as I closed my eyes shut when my head hit against the steering wheel. With one hand I tried to reach out to any of them at the backseat and felt the hold of my Anu's hand on my fingers. My vision blurred as the pain shot through my head and I blinked several times to adjust my sight.

"What happened? Are you alright? Mithra, nothing happened to you, right? Did you hurt yourself anywhere?" She asked, her voice full of concern still hugging him tight, her hands involuntarily examining his arms, legs and head but her eyes were on me, checking if I'm fine. I nodded my head assuring her, rubbing the sore spot on my forehead.

"That..that child" I followed the direction she pointed her finger to and immediately ran out of the car to check on the kid. She was severely bruised and bleeding. Some four people gathered around but didn't take any step. I gathered her in my arms and ran back to the car. Anu opened the backdoor but looked at me and the girl in horror. Then it struck me, Mithran can't stand the sight of blood. I turned to open the front door but his voice stopped me.

"Little sister? Appa what happened to her?"  His voice was heavy and his breath got laboured but his eyes were strained on her. What surprised me was that he didn't faint as he usually did. "Don't be afraid Mithra, she will be fine". I assured him, gave her to Anu and drove them fast, searching for any hospital on the way.

"Hey? Baby? My child? Open your eyes, can you you hear me? What is your name?" Anu tapped her cheeks and kept talking to her trying to keep her conscious.