Chapter 9 - Mending hearts

Kadhambari was sleeping until she heard some faint voices. With every passing minute, it got louder and words became clearer. The voices sounded familiar too.

"Then stop worrying about a murderer like me!"

"Why are you shouting now? You are going to wake up the kids. And stop calling yourself that. I told you I'm sorry. I did not mean-"

"But it is the truth Anu. Sorry. I don't think I have the privilege to even call your name now."

"Poongu don't be so dramatic-"

"Let me finish please. I know we are parents and we have responsibilities. I assure you, I will do my best to carry out my duties as a father without -"

"Don't you dare complete that sentence! Are you trying to give up on me? Is that all the love you have? Where did all your promises fly to now?"

"I-I" Both of them stopped abruptly when they saw Kadhambari walking towards them while rubbing her eyes.

They looked at each other, feeling awkward and at the same time afraid if they scared her.

"I.. I am hungry. Can I get some milk?" she asked meekly looking between the two.

"Sure, sure. Milk, right? I will just be back." Anu held her chin softly and rushed to the kitchen while Poongundran rubbed his face and moved away from there silently.

Anu stood in front of the boiling milk blaming herself for making Kadhambari witness such a situation again. She can't forget the fear in her eyes she saw the last time they were fighting.

She was confused if Kadhambari noticed what happened or not. "She seemed calm. But I don't know if she saw us or not. I hope she did not really see or hear us. This gap between us should never affect her in any way." Anu kept reciting in her mind. She came back from her thoughts and that's only when she noticed that the milk has bubbled up and overflowed. Chiding herself, she prepared the milk for her and rushed back in.

"Mithra, you left your homework notebook on the writing table again today. How many times should I remind you?" Poongundran yelled while walking outside.

"Sorry pa. I'll be there in a minute." Mithran yelled back as he rushed to collect his notes while adjusting his tie and skipping on one leg with his shoe on.

Seeing them leave, Anu went to the kitchen to collect their lunch bags and hurried back to the porch. Mithran took his lunch from her but Poongundran refused to turn back and zoomed off as soon as Mithran climbed behind him.

Anu stood there rooted, looking into the direction her husband and son disappeared, until she felt a small tug on her dupatta.

She looked down to see Kadhambari looking at her eagerly with her doe eyes.

"Um, where is Anna's school?"

"Anna's school...hmm, it's not very far from here. But why are you suddenly asking about it? Do you want to go visit the school?"

" I-I.. Anna is going there daily. I want to see how it is. And I like how he tells me different things that happen at school." Kadhambari expressed her interest in something for the very first time.

That rang a bell in her. School.

'We haven't even thought of Kadhambari's schooling yet. Will it be okay to admit her into a school too? She still can't remember everything properly. Neither does she mingle with outsiders. Everytime Mahi anna visits us, she hides behind the door.'