Chapter 8 - And She Said Yes!

After a month...

Anumegha's POV:

I was wrong that day when I thought that his 'Fine' meant that we would be taking her home with us right away. He was hell bent on doing every single step legally. He called someone and then the first thing I knew, he drove us straight from there along with Kadhambari to a police station. I still remember how reluctant she was to enter the building and how she clung onto Mithran's hand. But with just two words, my husband worked some magic on her.

"Trust me?" Was all he asked her with the most beautiful smile I have ever seen on his face. I couldn't decipher the meaning of her look, but she followed him like a lost puppy when he took her small hand in his.

Nervous and afraid of the consequences of these events, I followed them, pulling Mithran with me. The turn of events at the station was totally unexpected but I believe that it was God's plan again to give us everything in her form. And today is the deciding day.

That day at the station is still etched perfectly in my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hello sir" he held his hand out.

"Poongundran, right? She's the kid? Take your seat." The officer greeted and shook his hand.

"Our daughter". He corrected casting a smile towards Kadhambari who was silently observing the surrounding still holding his hand.

"We were blessed to meet in an unfortunate yet fortunate accident. She stumbled from nowhere on a deserted road. She was alone, and there was no hospital in the surrounding, so we took her to a nearby place where immediate help was available." Judging by her reaction, I knew that she was starting to get confused hearing what he said.

"She's not in good shape as of now. Her memory is temporarily tampered. I am ready to face the law for what I caused her. Also we are willing to take care of her and her treatment and also to find her family if possible." His words sank into me and my belief, that finally my son will be alright, started to break. He just wanted to console me for the moment and agreed with me.

"Since there are no defenders on the child's part, I can barely file an FIR as of now. And you can acclaim to help her by seeking permission from the court. Until we find someone claiming her as their family, she will have to stay at any orphanage or foster care alloted by the court." The officer briefed.

"No please. We can't leave her like that. She needs much attention, care and love, and.... we also need her." I whispered the last part.

"But we don't know about her real pa-" my heartbeat was increasing pace when her curious eyes turned to him. At the exact moment, a strong voice interrupted Poongundran.

"Wait a minute." He huffed, running to stand beside us and looked sharply at Kadhambari with his grey eyes. His coat yelled out that he is a lawyer. She cowered under Poongundran's arms at his sharp gaze. Sensing her discomfort, he pulled his lips upwards very slightly. He briefly turned towards the inspector and shared a nod. "She is the kid" he mumbled before turning back to us. "I need to tell you something important. But before that, I need to know why you want her." He spoke to us in a don't-ask-why tone.

"Oh, don't be alarmed. He is an advocate. He had already reported about the missing case of a little girl. That's why he is here." The inspector filled in for us.

"But.. You.." before we could protest, the advocate spoke again. "Just answer my question."

'Speaking the truth makes things easier and simple'. Dhanam Amma's words played in my mind. I put my hands around Mithran's shoulders and he snuggled into my stomach.