chapter 22

Panic sets in as I remember my dream. No not a dream. A nightmare. Some thing I never want to experience again. But I rush out of bed and pull on some decent clothes and grab my purse and cell phone and run out of the house quietly. Ill just call them later once they find out I am gone.

I get to the car and rush in and drop everything on the passenger seat and start the car shaking. No this can’t be. Everything is alright. It has to be.

I rush to the hospital and when I get there I am shaking with fear. What happened? This cant be happening. I AM the one with the cancer. Not him.

I see his mother sitting there in a chair by the waiting room of the receptionist and I rush to her before she notices me. “What happened to him?!”

“He was angry and upset and that came over him and he fainted.” A huge wave of relief hit me and I almost collapse of it.

“But he hit his head on the way down. There was so much blood. It was so scary.”

“Is he ok now?”

“He is still unconscious but he should be good after awhile and wake up.”

“Can I see him?”

“Sure third door on the right.” And she points and the nurse lets me through smiling at me.

“For once its not you.”

I smile. “Yes that’s a good thing.” His mom gives me a weird look.

I walk down but come back because she started to talk again. “Nice hair colors. I would do the same thing in your situation. That’s a very nice thing to do Taylor.”

“Thanks it’s for me and all other cancer people out that are suffering just as bad as me. If only they knew how hard this is.”

“Oh I know how you feel. I will pray for you tonight. Now I won’t bother you anymore. Go on ahead.”

“Oh thanks and no problem. Bye!”

“Bye honey!” she calls sweetly and goes back to her paper work. I walk down quickly to Cole’s room and turn into it. But I look at his mother and she has wide doe eyes at me and staring at me in surprise. i go in and try to ignore that. but those kind of people bother me no matter how hard you try to ignore them.

Cole is laying there with a big bandage on his head and is completely still. Something about him that makes me squirm. Just how he isn’t moving anything except his chest. But I sit next to him on the bed and grab his hand and hold it for comfort and I tell myself over and over that the dream isn’t real.

It isn’t real. It isn’t real. He is just fine. He is just fine.

I keep telling myself that over and over to calm down. It finally works after some failed attempts of trying.

“Hey Cole. I heard you had a bad fall. It wasn’t because of me right?”

I wait for him. No response. I sigh and stare at his hand. “Cole, I just want you to know that I never wanted you to fall for me. You really should stop worrying about me. it has taken over you to the point of that your in the hospital. I never wanted this.”

He stirs. “But I can’t help it. It’s like a pull that brings me to you. I can’t take away what is already gone.” He mumbles. I squeak in surprise and kiss his forehead.

“You’re alright!”

“What happened?” he asks touching his bandage. I pull that away from his face.

“You fainted. You don’t remember what happened?”

“No just that I was angry that-“he slowly drains out and looks sheepishly at me. I give him a look.