Chapter 21: Trauma

Depuis le début

“I’m sorry”, Fred said. Absently, he placed his hand over hers.

Cheska jerked at the contact. Electricity seemed to pass from him to rise up her arm and spread throughout her body.

“Sorry.” His hand slid away and left her feeling cold and bereft. “Did I…” Fred hesitated. “Did I hurt you?”

“No”, Cheska said.

The slight pause before her answer confirmed his doubts. Fred shifted uneasily on the bed then propped himself up with elbow. He held himself in that position while he waited for the dizziness to subside.

“What are you doing?”

“Leaving”, he said. Fred sat up and felt for the bump on his head. It was the size of an egg. Tony had struck hard. No wonder he felt like this.

“You’re in no condition to do that.” Cheska pushed him gently back.

“I’ve intruded in your privacy as it is. Worse, I harmed you”, he added silently. If you knew what I can do – what may happen, you’ll stay far away from me. Anyone would. Even mom is scared of me.

Swaying, he moved his leg to the edge where Louis sat. Nausea hit him again and he fell sideways. Cheska and Louis caught him. She rearranged the pillows and gently laid him down.

“For a doctor, you’re acting very stupid”, she chided.

Fred’s strained and pale face troubled her. He shouldn’t be here. He needs medical attention. Cheska pulled out her phone from her pocket when his hand moved towards her.

“Please”, he implored. She watched him at the corner of her eye. “I’ll stay.”

“You are a stubborn idiot”, she said, pausing between each word. Cheska crossed her arms. Fred stared blankly at her. He looked so out of it that she couldn’t be cross with him for long. “What do you need?” she relented.

“How long was I out?” he asked. I’m so tired. Just a bit more then I can nap. Fred fought to stay conscious. He focused on a spot, Cheska’s hand. Still no ring.

“Thirty minutes”, Louis said. His voice reminded Cheska and Fred that they were not alone in the room.

They waited too long. Fred took stock of his options and issued instructions. Tony volunteered to pick Fred’s things from the hotel. Louis chose to purchase homeopathic medicines from the chemist. Cheska stayed behind to check for changes in Fred’s condition.

They shared a tray for lunch. The atmosphere felt thick with unasked questions. Cheska wasn’t sure if she should bring it up. Would he be upset if I ask?

“You don’t have to stay in the same room with me”, Fred said, quietly.

“It’s fine”, she said, polishing off the last of the sandwiches. “You thought I was his sister”, Cheska added as lightly as possible.

Fred sipped water from his glass and answered in the same tone, “I did. What did I do afterwards?”

“Then, you got very angry. Who is she?”

Cheska waited for a minute. He didn’t reply. His eyes strayed to the window. She stood with the tray of empty plates. “I’ll be right back.”

She returned with her nose stuck in a book. Cheska flipped a page as she made herself comfortable in a chair. Though it appeared that she didn’t plan to pursue the previous subject, Fred asked, “Why do you want to know?”

“I was curious”, she said, without lifting her head from the novel she was reading.

Since Louis had already gotten Cheska into the mess they were in, Fred decided to say, “Electra is Louis’s sister and she was my friend. She died eleven years ago.”