Ch. 30 - I am..

Patton's p.o.v.

I looked at Logan, who was eagerly awaiting an answer. I started second guessing myself again. Dan did threaten me after all. I couldn't take that lightly. But maybe, instead of keeping it to myself I could...

"Logan, I need to tell you something.." I said, my voice trembling. I know he of all people will help me in any way possible, but it was still scary. I didn't want to endanger him. He saw my hesitation and gave me a reassuring smile. 

"Patton, whatever it is, we can work together to solve it. Alright?" 

I smiled and nodded. We sat down among the flowers and I told him everything. How Dan would hurt me in more ways than one, how he cheated on me, and how he threatened me. The whole time Logan didn't say anything. He just stared at me and occasionally he'd nod. 

"And now we're here.." I said, finishing the long story. For a moment, Logan didn't say anything. Before I could ask what he thought I should do, he was already telling me. 

"Well firstly, you should definitely call off the wedding. Do it in a public setting with people around so he won't try anything. Then alert the authorities and get a restraining order. So he won't be able to go anywhere near you." 

I nodded slowly, looking at my hands. I felt kind of stupid for not thinking about this before. I know exactly what Dan would say if he were here right now. Jesus, use your brain, Patton. Seriously, how stupid are you? Why do I have to do all the thinking for you? You ungrateful selfish little--

"Patton?" Logan asked with a look of concern on his face. I snapped back into reality and threw a smile back on my face.

"Yeah, Lo?" 

"What do you think of the information I just discussed with you?" For a split second I completely forgot what was going on and that we were actually having a conversation. My attention span is pretty wacky. (ME)

"Oh, I think it's really smart of ya for thinking it up! I just..I don't know. Are we sure it's gonna work? What if this'll all just make him angrier?" I asked. As soon as I said that out loud I felt my heart race. Just the thought of making him angrier terrified me. 

"I suppose you're correct. In this case, I'd file a Domestic Violence Restraining Order." 

I tilted my head a bit. I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. He clearly saw my confusion and sighed before explaining himself. 

"A restraining order is put in place to protect you from someone possibly doing something. It doesn't have to be a malicious act. Many divorce cases get restraining orders so one can't contact the other. Does that make sense?" 

I nodded. He seemed very happy to explain this in detail to me. He continued on. 

"A Domestic Violence Restraining Order is different. The name explains itself, really. It's a restraining order against people who have been abused by someone in the past they had a close relation with. Perhaps married, divorced, were in an intimate relationship, etc. Sometimes people can get restraining orders on people they barely know. Celebrities often do that with toxic fans. However the D.V.R. is usually in correlation to someone the victim was close with."

I thought about what he said for a moment. It made sense, but that was just for me. 

"What about you guys? What if he goes after you?" 

Logan smiled just a bit. "We'll be fine. We would probably only be able to get normal restraining orders, but if he tries anything, we can move it to a Criminal Protective Order." 

"A Criminal who what now?" I asked. Seriously, I don't know if I can take another explanation. Though I immediately changed my mind once I saw Logan's face light up at the chance to explain. (last one I promise .o.)

"A Criminal Protective Order, often just called a Protection Order, is put in place to protect someone from a dangerous person. They've likely committed a crime in the past, such as sexual abuse, stalking, etc." 

Neither of us said anything after that. I finally felt like I had a way out after Logan explained everything. For the past two years I've just felt cornered without escape. Logan is my way out. 

"So um...Patton?" Logan asked as he picked at the grass, not meeting my eyes. 

"Yeah, Lo?" 

"Y-You um," he began. He got really cute and flustered. I could tell he was still nervous. "You still haven't given me a response to my question." 

I smiled and wrapped him in a hug. I felt him jump, surprised by the sudden contact. "Does this answer your question?" 

"Um..not quite. I don't understand if this is a plutonic or intimate hug." He said. I giggled and moved my head inches away from his. I saw his face turn pink right before I shut my eyes and kissed him. I made sure to pour all my love and affection into that one single kiss before breaking away.

"How about that?" 

"W-well the last time you kissed me you requested that I forget and we remain friends--"

"Yes, Logan! I'll be with you!" I said and tackled him into a hug. I was a bit to forceful, though. Soon we were rolling down the hill. I shrieked and began laughing as Logan kept trying to get up, only to continue rolling until the bottom of the hill. 

I smiled as I laid in the long grass, looking up at the clouds. Logan loomed over me and put a hand on my chest. 

"Are you alright, Patton?" 

I've been asked that so many times these past few months. I never really knew the answer. I didn't feel amazing, but I didn't want to lie to anyone. I've always kept my real feelings a secret. Now I know I don't need to hide anything from Logan. Besides, for the first time in a long time, I think I really meant it when I told him, 

"Yeah, I am.." 

∆§∆